Author Topic: Out of interest...  (Read 25110 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2005, 07:53:15 PM »
Yea and dont forget that search feature for each type of combo box... please?

I am trying to replicate that error now... brb...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:02:56 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2005, 08:02:30 PM »
error : when you click the "add the condition button" in the form labeled "add conditions" you get a "subscript out of range"

The resultion I am using is 600x800 it simply does not fir into the screen, when you make a program you have to make resoultion frandly , that is : possible to see at high resolutions but fits into low resolutions. You can even get code off the net that automaticaly adjests your resolution but thats a little to advanced for your level.

bug: if you close the main window first before you close the conditions window , the conditions window will still be open that is the program will still be running. Wait until you start getting setuations when you close the program but its still eating memory in invisable mode , the only way to see it is the endtask menu.
A quick solution is to use "end" in your "form_unload" code, but microsoft says they still havent worked out that commend too good and it can cause program crashes or somthing.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
I am trying to get it to trap the terminate event to close all other related open windows too.

I'll also try and add routines for changing object sizes at runtime based on resolution and window size.

Have you actually added a gene and selected it from the listbox before clicking 'Add the Gene'?
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2005, 10:43:26 PM »
Right OK I changed the forecolour to make it more readable, set a function to resize the objects at runtime, and removed the possibilties of adding conditions to a non-selected gene and closing one window with the other remaining. I will probably get to work on the body of the genes and the file operations next so it actually can be used!

P.S If anyone needs .rar format or anything then just post or PM and I'll sort it out.

[Edit] By the way, [Light], could I have that copy of the other genome builder if you have it? It might be useful to help me if I am stuck or to nick some ideas lol. Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:47:21 PM by Ulciscor »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2005, 08:46:52 AM »
Still comes through to me as a garbled text file.

I tried it at home last night and it worked OK though so the problem has to be my firewall rather than anything you are doing wrong.

On a seperate note, would you mind deleting your earlier attachment. We are rather unfortunately restricted to a total upload space of 16MB on this site so we have to get rid of old unwanted attachments.

We are only up to about 4MB so far but it is best to keep on top of things.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »
The maximum file size you can attatch is 48.83mb, but yet were only got 16mb of space in total..... strange

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2005, 12:37:13 PM »
Isn't it though?

BTW have you ever actually tried to attach a large file?

I can't get anything larger than about 100kb to actually work.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2005, 05:46:10 PM »
Done and done! :)

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2005, 04:07:58 PM »
Are there any forbidden characters in custom variable names?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2005, 12:53:35 PM »
are you talking about vb?

only use letters A-Z , a-z and numbers 0-9 , never write a number as the first charecter vb is beefy about that.

You have to make sure your name does not conflict with the name of any of your controls , exsisting variables on the same level , and vb commands and system defined variables.

If you did your dimentioning correctly should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 12:55:19 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2005, 06:10:49 PM »
Are there any forbidden characters in custom variable names?
Only trademarked names.  For instance, naming something MickeyMouse is a good way to get sued back into the stone age.

:D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
Hooray I'm back for a few days :)

What's happened to the place? In some ways nothing has changed :(

Umm...I have not been able to read all the posts yet but the program your making sounds alot like a webpage version I've already made. It uses verious pulldown boxes to write in various texts(cond's, categorized actions, refvars, etc).

Honestly I got the code from the old forum and modified it to fit(see above boxes for example).

I haven't added any of the most recent code but most of it is there up to the version before last. I haven't figured out quite yet how to rig up inserting one user defined text field at multiple points but don't think it would be too hard.

I'll see about uploading it. Unfortunatly I'm nowhere close to home so it may be difficult to find a net connection.

Endy B)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 06:07:02 PM by Endy »

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »
Could I have a look-see please? I am a bit stuck on how to make the interface for the body of the gene. Sorry if I have inadvertently copied you btw, I'll put a link to your app in the program!  :lol:

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Out of interest...
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:02 PM »
Not really an app, it's more like the menu you see when you write replies to the forum. Basically it's like a little program made as part of a webpage. You can drop in text(code) on the fly.

Everything is arranged into catagories based on types(shots, ties, motion, etc.)

Not quite as good as I'd like, but works okay. I'll see about posting it somewhere tonight. Might make use of the DB e-mail address to distribute it.