Author Topic: Default settings and bots  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Default settings and bots
« on: June 16, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »
When I release 2.4, I'm going to have to release it as a full self-installing version.  Since I'm going to have to do that anyway, I thought I'd gather together a few bots and settings files that are interesting to run, to give DB a better front end look and feel.

So post links or uploads to any bots or settings you think would be interesting to a new DBer.  I'd like to include some league bots, and a few evolution bots, and sim settings for them.

Or I can just include all known bots in the release, but that could seem overwhelming to a new DBer, so I'm thinking we just include a few basic bots to play around with that represent all the major camps and let the new user get a feel for the program before dumping about a hundred different bots on 'em.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:54:51 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 01:46:10 PM »
good idea , and don't forget to set a new defult settings file...

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:07:38 PM »
good idea, I was planning to do something like that next, but kinda busy (and lazy) right now...

There was a whole ecosystem that someone made with veggies, first and second level predators...  I'm going to dig through my files.  It did not work every time though and it had to be manually adjusted.  Maybe I'll make a save file...  Would it be compatible with new version?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 05:09:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to make saves backward and forawrd compatible, so go ahead and post in whatever form.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 12:43:40 AM »
Yeah, I found the bots.  They were made by Jerry and their names were were Cycling alga, Ursus herbivorus and Ursus lurker (there is also Ursus detrivorus, but that may have been my own patched-up bot).
Unfortunately, I can't get a good sim running.  The bots are pretty inefficient in the first place and now everything goes dead in several thousand cycles.  I tried to fix some things in the code, but only made it worse (blyeh, I suck at programming).

The idea is pretty cool though and I think exisitng bots can be modified just slightly to re-create what he attempted.  Anyone interested?
Basic idea is like this: it is a "pond mode" sim.  Veggies live on top, but come down (to about half-screen) to reproduce.  There is a lot of veggies.  There is a herbivore that eats veggies and runs from anything resembling a predator.  There is a carnivore, a lurker, whose strategy is to sit tight between veggies and wait until a herbivore runs past - then it jumps and eats it.  The whole thing was happening at the top of the sim with the bottom half empty, so I figured it would be good to turn the corpses on and have a bot that lives on the bottom and survives purely on eating corpses (ursus detrivorus).

The whole thing is designed as a non-evolving sim, just for fun of having a complete ecosystem.  It would be a very fun default setting!  He had some good ideas, I can elaborate if anyone wants to do that.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:40:08 AM »
Can you post up the bot's and settings file?

In the mean time I'll take a look at making something similar. My regular programming skills seem to have gone down the tubes lately; so it should be a good way to get back into the action :)

Endy B)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 03:40:43 AM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 08:23:47 AM »
That sounds great!  That would definately be a good default setting.

Offline Shen

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 10:36:59 AM »
We should have a selection of different things showing off various cool settings and bots. PYs AntBot would be a good one. Maybe a bunch of MBs in a huge arena. An Ecosystem in pondmode. A bunch of F1 bots.

Though I think the default should be an evolution setting. I could post my basic bot and settings, I tweaked them loads to get good results.

Edit: Hrm Ant Bot doesnt seem to work in the latest version. Anyway Attached is a setting showing a Basic bot evolving, and another file showing a heavily evolved bot vs its unevolved rival (evolved wins of course :) ).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 12:12:44 PM by Shen »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 01:05:28 PM »
Here is link to the Jerry's post on the old board: http://darwinbots.proboards20.com/index.cg...83010895&page=3
It has all the bots and settings listed.  The bots, as I said, are not too good (except for Alga), and need some serious improvements to make them more efficient.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 03:33:01 PM »
Also, wanted to mention that in my opinion it would be better to post "fun sims" on the web-site with pictures and explanantions of what is happening.  Simply providing some settings files and save files is not enough - people may need to know why this simulation is fun.  Also, people may be more likely to try different sims if they read about them first and know what to expect.