Author Topic: Eyes in DB!?  (Read 9045 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does " *.refxpos *.refypos dist " return the same value as *.eye5 would?

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 05:36:33 PM »
the eyes return this:

eyevalue = 12000/distance (120000 = robsize*100)

note that refX variables won't activate if no eyes are used, I don't think.  Has to do with how the refX variables work.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 03:52:48 AM »
Darn and here I wanted to make a blind bot. :)

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 12:12:23 PM »
A bot that uses no eyes would be really cool,  but you just couldn't use anything to tell anything about the other bot.

Even in/out won't work.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »
Like Carlo said earlier, the first time the DNA of a new bot is tokenized in the DNA parser, it sets a flag called ".view" if it encounters any .eye(x) command.

This flag sets the stage for the entire set of refvars to be imported on the next (and every) subsequent cycle.

At first I wondered if you could create a robot with one gene that has an eye command, a timer and a gene deletion command. Something like
Code: [Select]
' gene 1
cond
*.robage 2 =
*.eye5 *.eye5 =
start
1 .delgene store
stop
I don't think it will work though since I am pretty sure that the .view flag is reset on every cycle.

Might be worth trying out though.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 04:45:03 AM »
Worth a shot :D

Umm...Nums what's going to happen when the new stand alone * is developed? Could the numbers fo eyes be changed in midstep?(Alright I'll admit I've figured out a [you]very[/you] complex way to do this already) B)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 04:49:40 AM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »
I have absolutely no idea, to be honest.

In fact, the .view flag is beginning to work strangely, sometimes turning the bot off for no reason.  I'm going to have to do some bug hunting :/

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 11:35:32 AM »
OK here is the lowdown on "view" (in V 2.37.2 source)

.view flag is always set to FALSE for any new bot

The only procedure which can set it to TRUE is "Instack" which is called a lot (to say the least) from the DNA parser.
In short you can't sneak an eye cell into the DNA by any means without the flag getting set pretty darned quickly. Add a virus with an eyecell, to a blind bot and it will be caught on the next cycle.

Once set to TRUE the only way to set it to FALSE again is for the robot to die and become a corpse.

This means that if you design a bot that has an eyecell originally but then loses it, it will keep on seeing the refvars for the rest of its life, however its children will be completely blind as they will never inherit the missing gene.
and those who don't

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 11:39:12 AM »
Maybe it should be set back to false when the .eye genes count is 0? Although I guess this would happen so rarely I don't suppose it would speed the program up much.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »
Right it could only happen due to a delgene operation.
and those who don't

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Eyes in DB!?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2005, 03:43:42 AM »
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Thought about giving viruses a shot, but the complexity made it kind of pointless.

I actually gave up on that method and have been working on developing a truly blind bot and letting it evolve. Currently it's good enough to survive, but I'm trying to use what evolution comes up with to help improve on it. Kind of cool project since it is easier to understand what is occuring and why.

So far it's come up with a several cycle randomized turning, following reproduction, presumably to give the child and parent time to seperate. I'm trying to find a method to make it less canabotistic, possibly useing poison shots(ID non plant) would help.

Is there something wrong with *.shflav and *.shang? They seem to stay at whatever the last value was.

P.S.
Found that eyes(when .view 0 =) stay at 150 past robage 1.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 03:50:12 AM by Endy »