Author Topic: Camouflage  (Read 8072 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »
It definately shouldn't be possible to be camoflaged and moving.  There just aren't any animals I'm aware of that can move and still be unnoticable (unless they're movement mimics plants moving in the breeze, or something like that).

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »
Yes, our eyes are great at catching any directional movement even in very complicated environments.  Maybe it's because we are monkeys...

The whole camouflage thing is actually quite complicated under the surface - it involves fooling pattern-recognition by brains, which is a pretty complicated thing....
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »
PY, the actual programing is inportant yes , but first we have to figure out what we really want to do.

It definately shouldn't be possible to be camoflaged and moving. There just aren't any animals I'm aware of that can move and still be unnoticable (unless they're movement mimics plants moving in the breeze, or something like that).

Look , if you want to add acamouflage  mode to basic Db that fine.

I think I am not a biologist so I dont know how camouflage is supposed to work, camouflage to the egrid I think is the best way...

How will robots look to the user while camoflashed to the e-grid I dont know , thats why I was thinking to paint the e-grid into realtime and update it every cylce.

I just really like Strykes idea and I want to add this:

Yea , like the null from cosmic rift. The whole point of the advantage is that it moves while cloaked. The ristriction in cr is must uncloak when shooting. So we can make it also when shooting or tie feeding. I think multibots should have the ability to cloack too, unless they tie feed from each other (passing info. can be during cloack)

The best way to make it is to have it like a "cloak mode" option.

As a "!!!!NEW SPECIAL MODE!!!!"

I mean , I feel pissed now , why can num and py play arround with silly modes ( like "shapes mode" or like "space mode") and we cant. I want actual cloack with movment , its does not have to effect ordinary DB in any way. ITS A "SPECIAL MODE USING A SPECIAL CHECKBOX IN OPTIONS"

If the mode is checked this works and mutates:

50 'number of cycles to cloak , dumps 50 energy energy into cloack
.setcloack
store
'if the robot shoots or tie feeds the mode is lost, but the energy (whats left of it) is returned. ' I know that shooting or tie feeding while cloacked is too cheap.

If the mode is not! checked! this how it looks like:

store

does! nothing!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 06:06:22 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 07:12:44 AM »
I mean , I feel pissed now , why can num and py play around with silly modes (like "shapes mode" or "space mode") and we can't. I want actual cloak with movement , its doesn't have to effect ordinary DB in any way. ITS A "SPECIAL MODE USING A SPECIAL CHECKBOX IN OPTIONS"
All we can do is ask/suggest, or program it ourselves. There's no need to whine.

Henk  <_<

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 08:25:58 AM »
I mean , I feel pissed now , why can num and py play arround with silly modes ( like "shapes mode" or like "space mode") and we cant. I want actual cloack with movment , its does not have to effect ordinary DB in any way. ITS A "SPECIAL MODE USING A SPECIAL CHECKBOX IN OPTIONS"
 :blink:

All we are doing is having some fun with a few concepts to figure out what works here. Nobody has programmed the stuff yet and frankly I don't know if they ever will.
To have any shot at realism we will have to restrict camoflage to stationary objects on a colored background, egrid, back picture, whatever. Cloaking is just way too Star Trek.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 01:33:43 PM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 12:50:33 PM »
I give up.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 01:07:37 PM »
Warning: PY will not comprehand this post:

Nobody has programmed the stuff yet and frankly I don't know if they ever will.
To have any shot at realism we will have to restrict camoflage to stationary objects on a colored background, egrid, back picture, whatever.

No one seems to understand the consept of cloacking as an "extra mode". Shvartz can play arround with his ordinary biological Dbs all he wants when this extra mode is turned off.

Warning: Bots is one lazy bum bc he could of added some mutch of hes crap to Db by now its not funny. But no, even uploading takes too long for him.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 01:36:06 PM »
No one seems to understand the consept of cloacking as an "extra mode". Shvartz can play arround with his ordinary biological Dbs all he wants when this extra mode is turned off.

More to the point.

Nobody likes the idea of cloaking. This isn't a space combat game. A limited form of camoflage while not moving is quite enough thanks.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
Stryke posted: http://s9.invisionfree.com/DarwinBots_Foru...ndpost&p=718115
One point is that camoflage only works when you don't move so it is used either as a wait and pounce stategy or simply to hide from predators.

Oh, I see your point. I didn't see it that way. I was thinking invisibility cloak, and that means high tech stuff. I guess that does work with biology. Stupid me.

Yea another newbe just owned the
Nobody
 title ;
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 02:03:48 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Camouflage
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 02:06:47 PM »
Talk about lack of comprehansion:

Camoflage? I'm guessing you mean blending in with the background. Hopefully you don't mean invisibility, because that would detract from the biology part of it. I guess it would be a great combat strategy, but it's just not natural. If you mean blending in w/ the background, it would require DB to have a background color the robots could determine and defining colors the Dbots would have and see.

:banghead: I started posting before I read that one twice, I just read it the second time now

Sry , py , all cool now