Author Topic: Recombination mechanism  (Read 10538 times)

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Recombination mechanism
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »
Sometimes you don't want it to be just a label.  Say you want to compare fitness of two closely related organisms that reproduce sexually - then you don't want them to inter-breed.
Yes, this is true. But there should be a standard way to do that, instead of just making things work the wrong way because sometimes it is useful. Another way would be to simply program your creatures to ingoe each other as partners (risky) or mess up their dna - if they have ND execution, for example, you can completely invert the order of their genes without changing their functionality: and they will never be able to interbreed.

They are using the best software available and thier alignments usually take overnight and sometimes go for several days.  Which makes me think that any program that does this in a fraction of a second is a sham.
It may be so. Or it may be that your colleagues work on much bigger data collections that we need to do. I don't think that aligning similar parts should be (nor that it can be) an error free procedure. It should only make things work better than they do now.

Basically, if you can do it - great!  I won't complain.  But I don't see why UID system can't be implemented - it is very powerful and yet it is very easy to add...
I prefer my system, which is not very different from yours except for the fact that
1) it doesn't need explicit and arbitrary marking of the code
2) it works _preferably_ (but not necessarily) on entire genes.
3) it's straightforward to implement
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 03:21:00 PM by Carlo »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Recombination mechanism
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »
I vote on this method with a slightly different order of actions.  Instead of reading along and then deciding to cross over, you decide to cross over X times, pick a spot to try it at, if it fails pick a new spot, until you've succeeded X times or given up all together.

Then you copy the DNA and divide it into cells and reproduce.  Minor point.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 03:34:51 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Recombination mechanism
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 04:16:53 PM »
Nums, I also have to ask you if you can explain again for me the whole _chromosomes_ thing, or post a link. I can't find your original idea about chromosomes, and I'm not sure about how they should work.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Recombination mechanism
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2005, 04:24:19 PM »
Yeah, especially in the light of recent decision to go slightly undeterministic!  I thought chromosomes were supposed to be slightly undeterministic in your previous idea.

What are we gonna use the chromosomes for?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Recombination mechanism
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »
Chromosomes are synchronous execution paths.  They can't interfere with each other (although their commands may conflict), and appear from the bots point of view to be executing at the same time.  Genes in the same chromosome operate more or less exactly how genes do now.  Current bots can be seen as having a single chromosome.  More chromosomes are like having multiple DNA files running in the same bot.

Chromosomes can combine to form pairs via centromeres.  They lend themselves quite naturally to sexual reproduction, crossing over, and diploidness.  They allow natural segregation of genes you don't want to be able to cross over with each other (crossing over restricted between like chromosomes only).

A few other things, I forget all the implications I worked out.  If you really want a complete list, I'd have to dig through the old posts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 06:48:24 PM by Numsgil »