Author Topic: Genesis, 2001, and Darwin  (Read 17196 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Genesis, 2001, and Darwin
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2005, 06:51:47 PM »
An interesting note:

God is the father of all of us on Earth.  There have been billions of humans, and if you count every human from the start to the end, that's alot.

Which would lend us to think it's an r-selection reproductive system, which has (as quoted in my freshman, 20 year old bio textbook):

early age of first reproduction
large brood size
single breeding season
small, numerous offspring
no parental care
short generation time
large reproductive effort per brood.

Yet religion claims that God is involved in the lives of all men.  That implies active parenting, which is k-selection, which has:

delayed reproduction
small broods
multiple breeding seasons
few, large offspring
parental care
long generation time
smaller reproductive effort per brood.

This just doesn't add up!  I guess having billions of children isn't considered a large brood size for an immortal, omniscient, omnipotent God.  And don't ask me how he managed it with small broods (and what would multiple breeding seasons mean in this case?)

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 03:14:38 PM »
Lots of interesting philosophical ideas on God here! I think it's good things like this are discussed.

From my point of view, I think we humans cannot comprehend who God is and why He does certain things. Some filosepher(?) said: "To be able to understand ourselves, we'd need a bigger brain."
If we can't understand ourselves, how can we understand God, who is definately superior to us?

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 03:25:43 PM »
Everything is supposed to be the way it is , thats why I wrote this , thats why science is a mith, I am so %%$54 pissed of that mutation does not work correctly in all cases , dont worry I still have stuff to try , dont bother to reply

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2005, 04:19:22 PM »
Lots of interesting philosophical ideas on God here! I think it's good things like this are discussed.

From my point of view, I think we humans cannot comprehend who God is and why He does certain things. Some filosepher(?) said: "To be able to understand ourselves, we'd need a bigger brain."
If we can't understand ourselves, how can we understand God, who is definately superior to us?
I agree to a point, but we should still be able to understand something of his motives, if not his methods.  Even if not directly than through metaphor.

And that purpose?  To bring his children to heaven.  So why would he send them away in the first place if all he wants is to bring them back?  There must be something useful to the experience of living on earth.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2005, 09:31:23 PM »
Face it. He is just playing with us.
We are some kind of gigantic game. (see my story posted earlier)

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2005, 09:54:27 PM »
If this is the game it has to be the poorest thought out game in history.

Teaches him not to rush a product to market before proper beta testing.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »
graphics and physics are pretty good
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2005, 11:25:18 PM »
But where's the gameplay balance?  Where's the cheat codes?

And the storyline sucks.  Great characters, not enough plot.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2005, 08:11:46 AM »
Maybe this is the beta version

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2005, 12:15:32 PM »
Everything is supposed to be the way it is , thats why I wrote this , thats why science is a mith
are you saying sience is a myth? :angry:  :burnup: and who is telling its supposed to be like this? it can just have been randomly choosed to be like this. ever read string theory? and when its about the bigger brain, I dont really agree, coz if it become bigger it might get worth coz its bieng slowed down the bigger it become. a man once said "the hardest thing for the brain is to understand it self" and numsgil, why must there must be something useful to the experience of living on earth? the meaning of life is very simple. dont understand why ppl want to make it more complicated than it is.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:19:56 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
Maybe this is the bèta version
Yeah, and George W. Bush is a bug!  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Mathonwy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
Just adding my two cents, as I find such philosophical thoughts interesting, and have some of my own, I doubt that they are truly original, most likely picked up from books and conversations and so on, but I play about with them in my own mind often enough that I tend to think of them as mine. I'll say now I can't find reason to have faith in any devine being (except perhaps fear that should such a being exist it will not forgive me for not believing).

God, Omnipotent and Omniscient...hang on if a being is omnipotent, that surely means can do anything, anything includes knowing everything (ie is already omniscient), already seems to have redudancy still moving on... Oh one moment, Omniscient, knows everything...that would include past present and future, darn there goes the freewill I like to believe I have (can't say for sure that I do have it, so I say I like to believe I do). Where was I in this ramble, ah yes Omnipotent, Omniscient, well then knowing exactly what will happen through out the existance of time and a universe to experiance the time, why bother...
Which leads me to suspect that should a creator exist it isn't omnipotent or omniscient, so what other properties could be ascribed to such a being...  

Obviously the ability to create a universe, to act and exist outside time and space as they are both parts of the universe that this being supposedly created. this is where my imagination hits a limit I cannot really concieve of something outside of time and space, but as it can have no volume, mass, or indeed any physical property as currently understood, and needs to act without time, and time seems essential in all actions and reactions as currently understood (ie Cause _Then_ Effect, then inherently says after or at a later time (I understand that quantum mechanics may have some evidence for things that happen simultaniously bypassing cause and effect however the events still take time to happen)), so such a being could not be comparable to ourselves in any shape or form. Our process of thinking also takes time, so even in thought this supposed being would have to be completly different.*(see footnote)
So I say this being would be far beyond my comprehension and my ability to test.

Moving onwards, attempting to stretch my imagination I concieve of the afformentioned being, the creator, the natural question arrises how did this being come to be, at this point though we're outside of time, so no time or events or space or matter exist between between the begining of this being (whatever begining might mean in such a context) and his act of creation.

I find that believing in this being requires many more leaps of faith and imagination than believing that the universe spontainously created itself in this realm without space time etc (if the word "in" can be used about something completely dimensionless).

All this before I get to religion, which I'm not going to get to in this forum, as I don't know enough about all the religions of the world to write on them all and it would seem most unfair to pick on those that I do know about, but I will however add one last point, ment to some extent in humour...

Most religions it seems to me have a forgiving devine being (helps recruiting else all those prior years of not worshiping, or of worshiping another deity would stop people  getting to heaven and if that already determined, why worship...) so being as most religions agree on this there is a good chance that should a devinity exist then this feature of it is true, hopefuly then this devinity will forgive me for not believing if it happens to exist.

Thanks for reading, apologies if anything I have said here causes offence, I do not attest to the truth of these things merely my own belief in them. Oh and I apologise for the use of nested parenthacies, messy I know, but I like them.

Math

* No doubt it will be noted that I leave out energy, light being a wave partical duality I'm not sure if in theory it could exist beyond space and time, as a wave alone, so for simplisty of thought I leave it out of the list of things that could not exist out side of space and time, in my opinion however it the wave partical duality would break down and light would no longer be recognisable in this context, the wave having no dimension to travel through... but thinking of such realms of non-existence is mind bending, enough for me to express doubt.

PS
Good short story PY, kinda invites thoughts about infitely recursive universes.