Author Topic: Ties  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Ties
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:06:07 PM »
Okay, this is how I invision the future of ties working:

Right now we just have one tie type.  It's kind of springy and hard.  It oscillates back and forth forever, making it severely limited in use.

In the new system we have these types:

Rope: Like a child and mother tied together.  Both bots can move in any direction they like, but once they hit a defined tie length the tie becomes like a bone, until the bots move together again.

Spring: Similar to current system, but you have to expend .5 k (x - init length) ^ 2 energy to move the tie using tielen, etc.  k is the spring constant and init length is the resting length of the spring.  Both must be set before the tie hardens.

Shocks: Like springs sorta.  Except it's a clamped spring (like those doors that close themselves slowly, or good shocks on a car).  So basically the tie won't oscillate the bots back and forth.  They'll jsut smoothly return to their natural length.

Bone: set an initial length.  The tie can't change it's length ever, so bots will be effectively kept at the same distance from each other.  If the stress from the bots gets too large, the tie will break.

Temporary Ties:  Works exactly like current temporary ties.  These ties will dissolve instead of harden.  Also, all other ties will behave this way until they harden.  Birth ties fall under temporary ties obviously.  These will be most useful for feeding (or made that way).

You have to define which tie type you want as you fire.  The cost of establishing that tie will depend on the type (not sure how yet), with temporary ties being cheaper.

Probably (in descending order of cost) Bones > Ropes > Shocks > Spring > Temporary Ties.

Bots will be able to move around freely while attached to ties, changing their orientation without affecting the ties.  Sort of like a ball bearing (look up ball bearings if you don't know what I'm talking about.  A picture is worth a thousand words.)

Bots will be able to change the angle between any two ties by applying energy.  The amount of energy required depends on swimming factor, the mass of the bots at either end of the ties, the bot's own body, etc.  I'm not entirely sure how this will work yet.  I'll probably base it on how framsticks (remember this topic?) works.

Ties have a bandwidth that determines how much energy/other stuff can be moved through it in a cycle.  This bandwidth is determined by the firing bot's body and extra energy spent (sorta like shootval to pwoer up shots), as well as tie type probably.  A stronger bandwidth will also be better able to break through slime, but will degrade as well in the process.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ties
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:02:18 PM »
That sounds okay, it did seem like cheating to have bots able to move(see Inchworm type bots) without expanding any actual nrg.

I'm not sure about which should cost more bones or the various springs. I'd think from a programming standpoint that a spring would be most useful since it allows more freedom of movement.

Shvarz, any opinions?

Endy B)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Ties
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:23:19 PM »
The stifftie sysvar was designed to allow a gradiation of this effect such that at 1 it is really springy and at 40 it is pretty much a solid bar.

The coding still needs a little work but it should work very well with the new tie controls that I added.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D