Author Topic: Messaging Bots  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:55:15 PM »
I think it'd be possible for the bots to cheaply send complex messages to each other.

The basic method could use just out1/2 changed to either 1, 0, -1(via inc/dec) to yield some 9 different messages.

The response could be seen as a single number with this code:

*.in1 10 mult *.in2 add

A more advanced method could use memval to yield some 27 different messages (or oddly enough, 26 discounting 0,0). Bots tied together could in addition use tmemval to yield up to a maximum of 81 messages.

*.tmemval 1000 mult *.memval 100 mult add *.in1 10 mult add *.in2 add

Now the only question remaining is what should these guys be talking about? :)

Endy B)

P.S.
I haven't actually checked up to 81, 27 took long enough, the equation for it looks like the number of numbers to the power equal to the number of available spaces.
x^y

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:09:34 PM »
Yep, you're working in a base 3 number system, so all the values possible will be powers of 3.

It's an interesting idea.  It would be most useful with some kind of built in Finite State Machine.

Like the bot has 7 different modes.  Each mode has its own genes.  It switches modes based on input from other bots.

I'm probably going to add section conditions that turn on/off large sections of DNA for this purpose.  I discussed it a long time ago, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 01:21:07 AM »
Excalibur talks to its self

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 01:26:10 AM »
So do I.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:51 PM »
So both Excalibur and Nums talk to themselves :pengysmiley:

Made a deliberate semi-Canni as an Evobot(kind of like the clan bots but has a chance of agression with children). So far it still became a true Canni, although that might be because the turning genes are woefully incomplete(right now it just uses the  refxpos/ypos setaim gene).

Thanks Nums for confirming the pattern. I was almost to the point of actually doing it by hand, to figure out the numbers possible.

Endy B)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 09:34:57 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 10:02:31 PM »
If you think about it, all real animals are cannibots, or descended from them.

The first bacteria were autotrophic (technically chemotrophic, but bear with me).  Then some of them evolved to do eat other bacteria and still be autotrophic.  Then some of them evolved to rely exclusively on autotrpohs for energy.  They made no more themselves.  Then some of those learned to eat other non-autotrophic bacteria, becoming omniverous.  Then some specialized still further into carnivores.

So the reason that bots are evolving to be cannibots is because it's an open niche that can be exploited.  There are even some real organisms that eat their own kids right off the bat.  The trick is for kids to learn to run away.  Run far away.  Maybe have a gene that if the bot you're looking at is one of you, and has more body than you, and you're young, hit the .dn with avengence.

Also, maybe you should blind your parent.

cond
*.eye5 0 >
*.age 50 <
*.refbody *.body >
*.refeye *.myeye =
start
100 .dn store
-50 .shootval store 'or any other value that will make your parent not chase you.
.eye5 .shoot store
stop

Just an idea.  I might make a cannibot with this and see what happens.  You definately need to disable the birth tie for this to work well.  Might work well with venom to blind the parent as well.  I'm no sure if kids get a portion of the parents venom or not though (but you could always make alot first cycle).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:03:52 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Messaging Bots
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:27:30 PM »
Cool idea, hadn't thought about having kids "blind" parents in some manner. Should stay in the dna also since it would continue to bennefit the bot.

Endy B)