Author Topic: Internet Sharing  (Read 8182 times)

Offline Slavakion

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »
In the mean time, internet sharing!  Internet sharing!
How exactly does internet sharing work? I setup a sim with sharing enabled, and then what does DB do with my robots? And what does this accomplish?

Sounds intriguing, though.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »
There's a file you got when you got Darwinbots that talks about setting up your own server.  This explains how internet sharing works, and what it does.

To actually get onto the only current server (me) you need to go to the internet sharing part of the options form and put ftp://24.151.208.144 for the address.  (Nickname won't affect your ability to login, it's just used to see who had which robot last).

And that's it!

Tell me if there's any problems after that.  I'm not 100% sure people can log onto me, but I think Carlo managed to do it earlier (or someone with a remarkably similar ip).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 01:11:52 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »
t'was me, but just with internet explorer! I can't even run db these days, my graphic card's cooling fan is broken and my pc gets too hot.  :lol:  Really!

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »
what do the pictures in the corners do?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 01:33:07 PM »
The top left is the uplod gate.  When it opens (the grate on top is gone) and an organism goes ontop of it, it'll be uploaded to the server.

The other one is the download gate, where organisms from the server will be downloaded.

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
Nums, I suppose that if someone connects to the system with the wrong db version, and tries to download and upload files... hmmm crashes when downloading and makes other people crash if he uploads his files?

If it is the case, I have a little solution. Just change the ftp directory name, and change its name inside the new version of the program. So that only new version will find the ftp dir.

Offline Slavakion

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:40:59 PM »
Seems to work... although whatever came through was destroyed almost instantly... :P

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 03:42:41 PM »
I have "swarm" and "fish school" coming in...  But poor bastards die in my conditions :)  I think codnitions that I have are too tough for any existing bot to survive...  Except for my 70-million-cycle-adapted Dom ternia...

We need some way to organise the sharing so that people could agree on some conditions and share only amongst themselves.  Maybe some custom folder name for each project.  Having many different conditions is unlikely to allow efficient sharing.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »
The "internet log" function should probably give more details as to what happened.  "Organism loaded" and "Organism downloaded" is not very informative.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »
swarm came into my sim and slowly took over  ;)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 04:31:38 PM »
Just had a strange problem with 2.37.1:  I came back from lunch and it looked like it was on "Pause".  At first I thought that it was down/up-loading, but minutes passed and nothing happened (besides, the number of cycles was far from 10,000th cycle).  Pressing "GO" or "Pause" and then "Go" did not help.  Pressing "Single cycle" lead to a single cycle going through, but program remained inactive.  It was not frozen, all functions could be performed, console could be opened and so on... The icons for "Internet gates" were missing.   I decided to go into menu, but when I clicked on "Internet> Options", the program crashed with Error #13, Type mismatch.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 04:31:45 PM »
Shvarz is right, there needs to be some way to control what is coming into the simulation, to let people run parrallel simulations.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 04:32:26 PM by Light »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 04:49:18 PM »
Shvarz is right

Well, they don't call me "Stand-in Bot God" for nothing!   :laugh:

Offline Shen

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 04:52:29 PM »
Hey there guys. Havnt posted in for a bit, exams and all. Im really interested in running a decent internet sharing sim. If shvarz or anyone wants to kind of syncronize settings or bots them im well up for it. Ill try running Ternia for now, not much is going to take over those settings :D

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet Sharing
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 05:04:15 PM »
Cool.  I am a bit further ahead on that.  I modified the Alga ternia to make slime and have been increasing the amount of slime it makes slowly.  Now it is at 50.  If you want I can post the new Alga ternia and updated settings file and evolved Dom ternia.  Or, alternatively, you can modify your settings in a slightly different way, so that evolution goes in slightly different directions in mine and your sims.

Also, maybe it is a good idea to replace .repro on .sexrepro, so that changes evolved in parallel could be combined.  Actually yes, that would be the way to do it!

I see a couple of problems: 2.37.1 seems to be less stable than 2.36.  And people were saying that using .sexrepro leads to frequent crashes too.

PM me for more details.