Bots and Simulations > Evolution and Internet Sharing Sims

Mutation Sims

<< < (2/14) > >>

shvarz:
Look in the attached file for the example of "predator-prey" cycles.

Shen:
Recently Ive had a new approach to the cannibal problem of evosims. Just accept that your bots will probably at some point start eating each other and look at it another way.

Really we dont care if bots eat each other, we care if parents eat there kids. So instead of a conspec avoid gene I just set a timer of 50 cycles that ran when a bot was born and when a bot gave birth. The timer made them flee other bots but only for that short period the timer was running. The interesting thing was that, unlike conspec genes, the kid protection genes never devolve. In fact having such a hostile sim where its a Bot Eat Bot world they tended to evolve the genes to flee from any bot all the time and just eat alga.

Edit: an example of cyclic growth just to backup shvarz :P

shvarz:
Actually, I noticed that our two graphs are quite different - you have more veggies than bots, me - more bots than veggies.  Probably due to the fact that I started with a very efficient bot and you are evolving from scratch.  My only concern is that your bot's population may drop so much that it results in Mueller's ratchet...

Shen:
What do you think the lower limit for number of bots is? I try to get a range of 25-100 in size 4 fields and never really goes lower than that.

shvarz:
That is good.  I think if it starts to go below 25, then it is not too good.  But then again if your mutation rates are low enough so that bots simply cruise through this tight spot without losing much fitness, then that works too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version