Author Topic: Major Infinite "nrg" Bug  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Major Infinite "nrg" Bug
« on: May 17, 2005, 05:36:10 PM »
Found a major infinite "energy" bug in the newest version. Was looking at the actual code for ties and noticed that it was possible to transfer waste and venom via red ties.

Made a basic Waste Tie Feeder, attached it to a veggie, to test the code. To my surprise the bot suddenly reproduced several times and crashed the program(overflow). Repeated experiment very slowly and found that the bot was able to steal both waste and venom from the plant...which has none. Now I think you see the problem, the waste can be infinitly looped back to the plant and converted to nrg.

Hope you guys can figure out a fix. I think it's cool to be able to transfer resouces like this via ties(a -6 x-fer would be a favorite :) ) but with these bugs it would be way too easy to misuse. I almost didn't want to mention it at first, it would have been funny to see The One sucking down waste instead of nrg :)

Endy B)

Been having to sit on this all week <_<  wasn't anywhere with access to the net.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 06:08:15 PM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Major Infinite "nrg" Bug
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 02:16:56 AM »
Played around with the waste x-fer some more and it appears that waste becomes negative for the plant. It seems as though the waste is there by the effects; tieing, randomized motion, etc. but the console doesn't show any waste being present.

Endy B)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Major Infinite "nrg" Bug
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:15:50 AM »
Nicely spotted Endy. I will have a look at that ASAP. It should just be a case of preventing waste and venom from turning negative in the target veggie.

Incidentally, the ability to steal or give away waste and venom has been there since about V2.12. It was one of the first changes that I ever made after discovering the bug that allowed Devincio Venator to feed through ties in the first place.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Major Infinite "nrg" Bug
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:37:24 PM »
I vaguely remember seeing something about it before, but I don't think anyone ever found a real use. Although stealing The One's venom... :)

I was also thinking of possibly using waste x-fer as part of a combined tactic; transfering the bot's own waste in while transfering nrg out. Normally I wait until bot reaches MB form, but since this isn't always likely, it may be better to transfer waste as a SB.

Endy B)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Major Infinite "nrg" Bug
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »
Battery bots should definitely be possible in V2.36.5

Try a symbiotic robot-veggie combo.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D