Author Topic: Star Wars 3  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »
Here is a qustion: How do you like Star Wars 3? Too  dromatic for you or what?
I thought it was good, but then again you have follow the story.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:24:22 PM »
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 09:17:33 AM »
To be quite honest I never liked any of the Star wars films.

From the very first release in 1977 (I think) I thought Star Wars was a so-so, bland kind of movie. The next two releases were more of the same but at least the Ewoks were kind of cool.
Episode 1 was just a complete pile of unadulterated dog-logs and I have never seen episode 2 and do not intend to either. As for revenge of the Sith....
Who gives a crap anyway? The Sith can do whatever the hell they like for all I care!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 04:40:46 AM »
I haven't seen it (yet), but I was in Cologne/Köln last week and saw all the starwars-fans going to the cimema for the premiere. (btw, I saw 'the Hitch' in german  :wacko: )

I am going to see it though. I'm not a huge fan but I like the movies. I liked episode 2 a lot, because it had a lightsabering Yoda... that was sooo cool!  :lol:

Henk

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 07:24:39 PM »
(potential spoilers start here) Now PY, They have some killer space fights in the begining of the movie, the stuff you usualy see only in enemai (for lack of better  spelling) but on the other hand the rest is not really too mutch action exsept for the jedi fights.

:ph43r: bau- I am Vador; you all will die.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:49:27 AM »
good to see Bot's poor spelling isn't English-only.   :P

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 09:14:58 AM »
They have some killer space fights

Funny you should mention the space fights as those are the main reason that I think all the Star Wars films are CRAP!

I mean what is the deal with these X wing fighters?

They look like regular air planes. They have wings and then they open the things up for combat. Perhaps this gives them a  larger airofoil surface for increased maneuverability........

Like that would make a scrap of difference IN SPACE!!!!

Then they all hurtle around like a bunch of morons with their rocket motors on full thrust while they take corners faster than a Grumman Tomcat (F14).... with absolutely no sign of side thrusters, without which it is impossible to change course in a vacuum

Star Wars has a similar amount of realism as the Grinch.

Bunch of crap, the lot of it.

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »
Popular SciFi (ie: TV and movies) usually seem to lag a good generation behind the literary kind.  The only real exception I've ever seen is the original Twilight Zone, which even now doesn't seem dated.

Star Wars is clearly a space opera (arguably a poor one) like the science fiction from the ~30s.

Science Fiction today, such as Star Trek TNG and later, Stargate, and the newer Battlestar Galactica (which, seems to me, to have about as much similarity to the older version as bizzaro world has to our own world.  Not sure yet if that's good or bad, I'm just saying...) are more sophisticated than the simpler pop science fiction from 30 years ago.  Not quite as avant garde as the New Wave stuff was in literature ~30 years ago (like the Ticktock Man, for instance), but definately take from the humanist angle and explores interpersonal relationships and politics/diplomacy more than just science and swashbuckling Kirkish adventure.

Battlestar Galactica especially.  They mention science in passing (and amazingly to me, they haven't made a single mistake that I've managed to catch.  And I know quite a bit.  Pretty good for a series where the science isn't even that important to the story).  

Which is why when people go see Star Wars, they're saying 'yeah, and...?'.  Even the Joe Schmoe off the street is used to more sophisticated storytelling than people were 30 years ago.  Which means that Lucas at his peak probably couldn't cut it in today's culture, let alone the shrivelled up hollow shell of Lucas we have today.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 01:20:31 PM by Numsgil »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 01:06:36 PM »
the newer Battlestar Galactica (which, seems to me, to have about as much similarity to the older version as bizzaro world has to our own world

Right!

I mean what is the deal with making Starbuck into a woman?  :blink:

And Cylons that are more or less indistinguishable from Humans? Instead of goofy great Cyber-man rip-offs.

Pretty good show though.

If you want real Science fiction in book form then I think you would have a long way to go to beat Greg Bear.
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »
I think they made cylons look like humans to explore contemporary issues like counter terrorism, etc.  

Originally I was really disappointed.  I had a hard time getting into it.  It was just really dramatic (the original had a lot of spoof and sideline comedy which I really liked) which I'm not used to after Stargate and Star Trek TNG.  And their culture is so clearly Western, which I saw as a cop-out.

But I like the actress who plays the president (she was Donnie Darko's mother) and I like the Doctor with the long hair who is borderline crazy (even without seeing a cylon woman no one else can).

Now, after I'm used to the style and am getting into the story more, I'm really beginning to like it.  The religous angle is so rarely used in modern science fiction, except perhaps as Frank Herbert used it, that is, as a method for control or as a sign of a 'primitive' culture.  I really like how they explore the Hellinistic-ish religion and fulfillment of prophecy, and the conflict with Adama who doesn't believe.

And I especially appreciate how they treat the red shirts.  That is, they aren't losing a crewmember at the beginning of each episode like a certain other series that shall remain nameless.  There's just alot of attention to detail, both science and people related, which seems so rare in today's science fiction, literature included.

However, they changed the series so much that calling it Battlestar Galactica really is a misnomer, and rather unfortunate in my opinion.  It really is it's own entity.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 03:49:15 AM »
I hate the movie
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 07:19:11 PM »
lol , ok if I ever make my space games I would have to have bouth py and num on my programing team.

Why Num?  He knows how to work with maya and programing generators of random plants , stars etc.

Why PY? Well when I watched star wars I had no idea they were lagging behind on actualy physics so mutch. I need a guy to watch over me incase I make up stuff that in reality wont work for hell.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 08:20:39 PM »
If you can't tell that they fudge the physics in Star Wars you have very little understanding of space combat.

If you want to get really technical, combat in space will probably be closest to submarine warfare.  That is, no fighters, but lots and lots of missiles and point defenses (especially in a sub light universe).

Here's a link on what actual combat in space will consist of, thought about in both low acceleration and high acceleration (ie: sub light and FTL).  http://www.arclight.net/~pdb/hammer-lightnings/.

Another popular notion in movies and on television is the “space fighter”. Unfortunately, appealing as the concept is, it does not bear up well under close scrutiny. A low-thrust environment demands such long endurance from manned vehicles that it would be far cheaper to dispense with one- or two-man vessels in favor of unmanned robotic vehicles able to perform most of the same tasks nearly as well. A high-thrust environment demands such volume of fire from even small vehicles that it would be far more cost-effective to procure a smaller number of more capable “gunboats” or “torpedo boats” able to perform most of the same tasks at least as well.

I'm personally more willing to overlook problems of reality if the social interactions are good.  (That is, I care more about if the people react realistically than if the science is good).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 08:26:30 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 10:21:02 AM »
Yeah, sometimes you've just have to change reality a bit. Cuz' let's face it: Reality can be plain boring

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Star Wars 3
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 10:32:38 AM »
Yeah, sometimes you've just have to change reality a bit. Cuz' let's face it: Reality can be plain boring

Change it a bit by all means but Star Wars warps it beyond all recognition to the point where it completely spoils the film.
If I could ignore the blatant disregard of all physical laws in the films then I might be able to enjoy them but for me, the lack of anything remotely beleivable just takes the fun away.  :(
and those who don't