Author Topic: Definition of intelligence  (Read 7440 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Definition of intelligence
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 01:16:02 AM »
We experience the free will all our lives and your explanations don't explain this fact.  Or at least they don't explain it in any reasonably simple sort of way.  The irony here is that in this case the scientific approach leads us to a non-scientific conclusion, I.e. that there is such a thing as free will and it has an impact on the way this universe functions.  "Look, I will to move my hand and now all these atoms are moving in a direction that I wanted them to move!"

If we go down to quantum physics then maybe we will find that at some point the will of an observer can change the outcome of a quantum experiment.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
I think I read something about that it's better to behave as if we have free will than to not, because even if we don't it has already been determined that we would.

It is possible to reasonably predict how another person will act/react, if enough is known. I don't see how that is really all that different from knowing how a machine will behave.

Endy B)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
If anyone is interested in this topic, then here is a linky to a set of very interesting lectures about relationship between modern physics and free will: http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/quant...gi?msgindex.mif

The lectures are of different level, some are more techical, others - less, but overall a very intersing discussion.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam