Poll

Right, Johnny Foreigner, what do you think?

New Labour; Tongues so far up Bush's arse they can clean his tonsils
1 (5.9%)
Conservative; "Give Europe the finger, repeal the human rights act and privatise the universe. Everybody do the happy dance."
1 (5.9%)
Liberal Democrat; INCOMPETANT LIKE A FOX!
4 (23.5%)
British National Party; First we're going to kill the fags. Then we're going to kill the niggers. Then we're going to kill the spics. Then we're going to kill the chinks. Then...
1 (5.9%)
Green Party; GM is the root of all evil!
3 (17.6%)
United Kingdom Independance Party; The Euro is the root of all evil!!
0 (0%)
Veritas; Asylum Seekers are the root of all evil!!!1one And We're headed by ROBERT KILROY SIIILK-AH!
0 (0%)
Spoil my ballot because I hate all of them
6 (35.3%)
Spoil my ballot because I can only write with crayon
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Who would you vote for...  (Read 15087 times)

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Who would you vote for...
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:59:08 PM »
Well?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 01:34:20 PM »
Never voted when I was there and don't plan to vote in absentia either.

I couldn't gives a rat's ass who gets into power. The whole lot of them are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Actually given the choice I would probably vote for the rat's ass!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 01:49:52 PM »
I always thought a 'none of the above' choice on ballots would be useful for voters to show their disgust without appearing apathetic by not voting.

Imagine the kind of message it sends when you say 'I went through all the trouble of getting to the voting booth on voting day only to not vote for any of you.'  Ouch.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »
I will probably vote Lib dem, although I want Labour to still be in goverment, twisted logic I know :rolleyes:

Offline Shen

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:37:02 PM »
All the parties suck. None of them will ever represent younger people, its simply not worth there time because we dont vote. Much better to spend the money on giving free money to pensioners.

Dunno if any of you noticed the perverse amount of time dedicated to trying to get pensioners to vote for various party, we are seeing the start of 'ageism'. Scrap council tax, tax cuts, free money and a host of other goodies for pensioners because they represent like 80% of the voting population. Nothing for people under 30.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:38:09 PM by Shen »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »
Much better to spend the money on giving free money to pensioners.
Free money eh?

What about the national insurance that they have been paying into SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension Scheme) all their lives.
about 3% of all earnings goes into this out of national insurance.
With a menial wage and working for 45 years and with minimal interest, this sum that the government forcibly took from each OAP comes to about 50,000.

If that same money had gone into a private pension scheme then it would be worth nearer to 500,000 probably.

Then they bitch and moan that they can't afford to pay the poor old pensioners the money that is rightfully theirs. They cut state pension until the OAPs are on the bread line.
Each person technically has a personal pension account though they just lump it all together into one fund which they then dip into to pay for other stuff.

Just imagine the scandal if a private pension company like Prudential did the same thing with your pension fund. It would make the ENRON scandal look like a picnic with Mary Poppins.

They have so many outs too. For example, if you don't pay NI for a single year, they cut your personal fund by about 5%, no matter how big it was initially. Take my case for example. I have now been away from England for 5 years and my NI pension fund is pretty much wiped out now. I paid into their crappy compulsary state pension fund for almost 20 years and I am never going to see a penny of it back.

I spent a couple of years dealing with this stuff profesionally as a financial consultant back in the late 80s.

The whole bloody government should be locked up for fraud if you ask me. The pension scheme is just a big fucking rip off!

I had better stop now. I'm starting to get annoyed.
and those who don't

Offline Shen

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:51:35 AM »
I'm not having a go at pensioners PY :P When I say free money Im reffering to the parties bribes to get pensioners to vote for them, not recieveing the pensions they paid into. I even agree that the state pension is just dumb. Im saying the government should be doing something about it so its not me that ends up paying the bill at the end of the day.

As you probably know the population is ageing in western countries and people are living a lot longer. This means that there are more pensioners for people of working age to support. So just how is the state going to fork out an ever increasing amount of cash to more people when they are getting reduced income from taxes due to less people of working age?

There are three real options.
1) Increase taxes for me
2) Decrease pensions
3) Increase the retirement age

None of them are good options but if no action is taken then the problem will just keep getting worse until we get a variety of nasty scenarios.

Also you may not be up on recent events over this side of the pond. Most of the private pension schemes have either gone bust or given very poor returns due to the stock market crashes, saying people should have invested in private pensions would mean there would be even more people relying on the state for support. The current shortfall in private pensions is £160 billion (count it).

You add all this up and then note the fact instead of taking action to reduce the future costs they are increasing pensions, giving tax breaks, handing out bribes (literally) and have already backed down from making the public sector retirement age 65, your left with the fact that not only are they doing nothing to solve the problem they are actively making it worse for there own short term political gain.

Maybe this should be moved to the Rant forum :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 11:54:10 AM by Shen »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »
Maybe this should be moved to the Rant forum

Very probably  :D

(topic moved. forward link left behind)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 12:43:38 PM by PurpleYouko »
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 07:33:18 PM »
ON THE SUBJECT STUFF:

Who the hell wanted Linkin Burthsday and Washington Burthday to be called 'Presidents Day', sounds like revolution is comming if they put away the names of ower 'founding fathers' -Michal Savage (some mean, talk show radio)

AND I VOTE FOR MY GRANDDAD TO BE PRESIDENT, if he was well enough , god bless him...

(dont reply)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:43:56 PM by Numsgil »

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 05:20:39 AM »
Bots, this is about the BRITISH election (which takes place TOMORROW, by the way). Fuck the Yankees.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 02:02:30 PM »
I always thought a 'none of the above' choice on ballots would be useful for voters to show their disgust without appearing apathetic by not voting.

Imagine the kind of message it sends when you say 'I went through all the trouble of getting to the voting booth on voting day only to not vote for any of you.'  Ouch.
There is its called spoiling your ballot paper

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 02:17:50 PM »
But you might do that because your stupid or incompetant.

I'd prefer a method that says "I'm smart enough to vote, but I hate all of you!"

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 03:22:45 PM »
AAA finaly, you type "hr" in "[]" marks to get the extra line thing

O its the british election , dont know anything about that...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 06:45:27 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 03:57:33 PM »
You'd know if it was a us election because the bollot would look like:

Democrat
Republican
Waste Your Vote

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »
I voted for green party , sounded like green peace , wather its evil or not save the nature