Author Topic: The sex is decieded by 1 singel gene  (Read 9215 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The sex is decieded by 1 singel gene
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »
we humans have 46 chromosones, where the last ones are the sex chromosones. X and Y. Guys have XY and girsl XX. Scientist have created a few mouses that have XX and still is males, they have never had any Y chromosone in them. The scientist added a gene from the Y chromosone into the X chromosone and then they got 1 XX mouse who was a male. many did of course not survive

if you cant read swedish then there is no idea for you to ask me to show it. maybe you can instant find it on the net on english
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 02:49:37 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 03:21:47 PM »
Biologically speaking, males are almost females.  That is, females are the default template, and males are simply a modification of this.  Male niples are a good example of this.

SO:  what's my point?  While you can probably find one or a handful of genes that make a XX animal develop a penis and outer genitalia, it will probably be sterile, and may still have a euteris (sp?).

Hermaphrodites are a good example of what I'm talking about.  Just because you find a gene that makes something have a penis doesn't make it male.  And just because you can get something with a vagina doesn't make it female.  The sexes are more subtle are complicated than that.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:24:08 PM »
if you ask me what decieds what sex something is its decieded mostly by whats ur part of the reproduction, if you give DNA then ur a male, if you take DNA then ur a female, if you do both ur a Hermaphrodites. but still I think its still amazing that a change in that gene can make you a female, or maybe even a Hermaphrodites.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »
There is certainly nothing like that on front-page news of scientific web-sites.  Sometimes these "news" come out of really nowhere, just some pretty old finding which is over-stated by a journalist.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 03:30:36 PM »
I didnt find this on a website. it was in a science paper adn they have yet never had wrong. soo I dont see any reason they would have it now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 03:35:15 PM by zelos »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
Again, it's not a single gene alone that determines sex.  Changing any single gene can give interesting results if that gene is important to development of something.  But the effects of genes are more subtle than you're giving them credit for.

Sex is not a switch between Male and Female.  There isn't a magic gene that turns on the switch between the two.

Children are basically androgenous.  Aside from genitalial differences, they're just about identical.  When puberty hits, it's the hormones that really cause the differences between the sexes.

So if you want a 'magic bullet' that seperates the sexes, it's got to be estrogen (and the related hormones) and testosterone (and the realted hormones).  But those come from the genitals, so they are only indirectly effected by the genes.

Again, the sexes are more subtle than you give them credit for.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
then how comes that they got a male that only had female chromosones?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 03:42:34 PM »
define male.

define female chromosomes.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:45:20 PM »
male=penis, can reproduce, deliver DNA to the female
female chromosones= XX

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
I didnt find this on a website. it was in a science paper adn they have yet never had wrong. soo I dont see any reason they would have it now.
That's a suspicious statement right there, because real scientists aren't 'never wrong'.  Real scientists make stupid mistakes all the time, that's why the publish papers.  So others can show what the scientist got wrong so the scientist can revise and improve is hypothesis and experimental technique.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 03:48:16 PM »
male=penis, can reproduce, deliver DNA to the female
female chromosones= XX
1.  Is a castrated man still a male?  He can't produce sperm.

I think your female mouse with a penis is sterile.  Like I said, a penis a male does not make.  It takes more than that.

2.  X is just a designation we use for the chromosome.  It doesn't define the chromosome.  Tell me exactly what it is that makes it an 'X' chromosome.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 03:49:01 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »
ops, ive should have said, "ive never seen them have wrong yet" sorry my misstage

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »
its different if ur born sterile or if you become sterile. I think so atleast

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 04:10:22 PM »
So if you're born sterile you're not a man anymore?

If you're born with no vagina but a nub about the size of a clitoris, are you male or female?

Again, more subtle than just black and white, male and female.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 04:11:30 PM by Numsgil »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 05:19:27 PM »
How about the case of certain FISH that are known to change sex completely.
The dominant male Clownfish Amphiprion percula and many other reef fishes live in matriarchal societies consisting of a single dominant female, a smaller dominant male and a whole family of juvenile males that are incapable of sexual reproduction.
If the female dies then the dominant male changes sex to become the new dominant female and a new dominant male emerges from the ranks of the juveniles.

They are all a bunch of transexuals and not a plastic surgeon in sight.  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D