Author Topic: Capitalization of I  (Read 10039 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« on: April 19, 2005, 04:53:09 PM »
I hate when people don't capitalize I.  Makes me crazy!  The shift key was invented for a reason!  How much effort is it to hold it down when you hit the I key.  It's even capitalized on the damn key!

Offline Mutchy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 04:55:36 PM »
Mine looks like like an "l"

I see it as being pointless, it hardly gives it a different meaning, still says the same thing

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 05:14:58 PM »
More often than not my damn keyboard doesn't register the capital I at all. I must be typing too fast for it or something.  :(
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Mutchy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »
Or, maybe it thinks that ur stupid cuz you moved to America (jks)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 05:27:10 PM »
If you get a good keyboard it [you]should[/you] fix it.

Unless its a spyware trick...

.... strange , it supposed to be Italic
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:28:54 PM by Botsareus »

LemmonLime

Capitalization of I
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »
I also hate it when people don't use punctuation cause its all crappy looking because I don't like people who use complete sentences or use proper english I also think the capitalization is for people with strong pinkies

Just Kidding!  Really.  I have the strongest pinkies of anyone I know - yes, I've tested it out before.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 12:37:23 AM »
I am with Nums.  I feel so much better when I read nice and clean language.  Not to say that I never get lazy and use web-speak, but I have a lot of respect for good grammar and punctuation.  It's similar to clothing: I much more prefer to look at people who dress neatly and with taste, I can tolerate jeans and t-shirts (cause I know it's practical), but I hate to see people dressed like they've been spleepeing on the street for a month.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:41:20 AM »
On a practical note, if you're really lazy, just hit the L key instead.  Lowercase L looks like I.

l was in the drugstore today, and l bought this neat sweatshirt.

See?  Those are L's.  So stop typing 'I' when you mean I.

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 08:54:04 AM »
I am with Nums.  I feel so much better when I read nice and clean language.  Not to say that I never get lazy and use web-speak, but I have a lot of respect for good grammar and punctuation.  It's similar to clothing: I much more prefer to look at people who dress neatly and with taste, I can tolerate jeans and t-shirts (cause I know it's practical), but I hate to see people dressed like they've been spleepeing on the street for a month.
I'd far rather see someone in jeans and t-shirt than a suit and tie. In fact, apart from suits and stuff, people can wear what they want. It's got nothing to do with me.

Typing, on the other hand...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 10:36:14 AM »
ROFL ,"touth me I am cuddly", you maid thouse yourself mp?

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 01:02:22 PM »
In communities of correspondence, such as the Web, the major basis for personal impression is one's presentation skills. Proper spelling, syntax, grammar, other mechanics, are the keys to providing that impression.  

As much as we may protest, presentation is more important than what we actually have to say. The message, as wonderful, insightful, meaningful as it may be can be lost in a muddle of sloppy presentation. That's just the way people are.

Clear communication is the responsibility of the sender. There are rules, memes, to this game that are there to facilitate the clear transfer of ideas from sender to receiver. When those rules are violated, even when the meaning of the missive is clear, the impression of sloppiness conveys a lack of care, thus a lack of intellect, on the part of the sender and the reciever is apt to discount the ideas accordingly.

Webspeak is a further evolution (erosion?) of language with new memes for a new medium. Among longtime close associates Webspeak most often will not hinder dialogue since personal impressions have already been set (for better or worse). Even within this context the responsibility to effectively communicate is on the sender and the personal impression by the reciever of the sender is a vital component.

The new memes of Webspeak are still under construction and test as evidenced by this whole thread. Some of the "shortcuts," such as "I" instead of "I" or "you" in place of "you" are meeting resistance as detractores. "BTW" (by the way) and "IMO" (in my opinion) are two that have gained acceptance but only in informal use.

The upshot is that if you want to have good stnading in the comunity and have you'r ideas accepted with value you can't just say good stuff you gotta spell rite, use the write words and poofreed ur work so you look good to!

As alway, verbosely yours,

-P

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »
The new memes of Webspeak are still under construction and test as evidenced by this whole thread. Some of the "shortcuts," such as "I" instead of "I" or "you" in place of "you" are meeting resistance as detractores. "BTW" (by the way) and "IMO" (in my opinion) are two that have gained acceptance but only in informal use.
Clearly capitalization is the defining feature of acceptance or rejection.  Just enough capitalization that it doesn't look like you left caps lock on (even sloppier).

I would even accept you instead of you.  When are you coming to my place, BTW.

But that's still borderline.

Offline Shen

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 01:46:26 PM »
Well as the famous Net joke goes...

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Personally I think that spelling is only important as a tool to present your ideas clearly. With proper paragraphs, punctuation and capitalisation you can still read a post fairly easily even with the occasional typo, complaing about lower case I's is just taking it to far imo :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:47:38 PM by Shen »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
You are right about that   :D

I can read your post perfectly if I just scan it at normal reading speed. However if I slow down and really look at the words it becomes difficult.   B)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:52:41 PM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Capitalization of I
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 03:02:25 PM »
Quote from: Botsareus,Apr 20 2005, 02:36 PM
ROFL; "touch me I'm cuddly", you made those yourself MP?
Nah, I stole them from somewhere. It was PREY or SA or NMA or something like that.

Anyway, I think I've made my stance on grammer and spelling quite clear in the rules thread.

And I've spell-checked sigs when I got bored.[/quote]