General > Toy Planet

Toy Planet: candidate for DB3?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Ammeh:
That's pretty cool of you, thanks :)

Yeah, after Botsareus posted, I had a dig around in the DB3 source code. I hadn't realised how much of it was already in place. I would like to re-register my interest in helping you develop that BTW.

To be honest, if I were to go down the route of separate project I'd undoubtedly want to steal some ideas from DB. The physics are pretty awful in mine, primarily because my tutor flat out forbade me to implement Newtonian mechanics, and told me to use naive physics instead. It's definitely on the to-do list to rewrite the whole physics/collision detection engine to be more realistic. I was even toying with the idea of making it 3D.

Numsgil:

--- Quote from: Sammeh on May 24, 2013, 10:22:50 AM ---Yeah, after Botsareus posted, I had a dig around in the DB3 source code. I hadn't realised how much of it was already in place. I would like to re-register my interest in helping you develop that BTW.

--- End quote ---

I always like help :)

--- Quote ---To be honest, if I were to go down the route of separate project I'd undoubtedly want to steal some ideas from DB. The physics are pretty awful in mine, primarily because my tutor flat out forbade me to implement Newtonian mechanics, and told me to use naive physics instead. It's definitely on the to-do list to rewrite the whole physics/collision detection engine to be more realistic. I was even toying with the idea of making it 3D.

--- End quote ---

You could probably grab a physics engine and stick it in without much effort.  I'm sort of insane (insane? who said that!) and like to build stuff from scratch, but there's something to be said for actually having something that runs.

3D would definitely be cool.  Hard part is how you visualize it, I think.  I toyed around with the idea of making DB3 3D, but it changes the flavor of everything dramatically, and I thought it would make it less approachable.

Botsareus:

--- Quote ---I would like to re-register my interest in helping you develop that BTW.
--- End quote ---

Sammeh, if you plan to contribute to DB, I think we need a working version of IM. I don't really care if it is p2p or not; I just want this thing to work because it is a really cool feature and my knowledge of the internet is pretty much 'hyper text prepossessing' only. (although, I did write some LAN code a while ago for school.)

I am sure that Numsgil will not mind because then he can stick this kind of code directly into DB3 as long as we code it in VisualStudio2010.

Ammeh:

--- Quote from: Botsareus on May 24, 2013, 03:29:01 PM ---
--- Quote ---I would like to re-register my interest in helping you develop that BTW.
--- End quote ---

Sammeh, if you plan to contribute to DB, I think we need a working version of IM. I don't really care if it is p2p or not; I just want this thing to work because it is a really cool feature and my knowledge of the internet is pretty much 'hyper text prepossessing' only. (although, I did write some LAN code a while ago for school.)

I am sure that Numsgil will not mind because then he can stick this kind of code directly into DB3 as long as we code it in VisualStudio2010.

--- End quote ---

If I can figure out DB2's code (my coding skill has improved over the last 3 years :P ), I could potentially hack the network portion of Toy Planet into it, though I'm not sure. I'll take a look over the weekend, see if I can put something together.

Botsareus:
oh, You do not need to touch the vb6 code really. The vb6 is already putting out the .dbo (robot) files into the 'outbound folder' and excepting any files coming in trough the 'inbound folder.' All you really need to do is write a plugin that excepts the following command line sequence:

--- Code: ---iq = Chr(34) & Teleporters(i).intInPath & Chr(34)
    oq = Chr(34) & Teleporters(i).intOutPath & Chr(34)
     s = "DarwinbotsIM.exe" _
     & " -in " & iq _
     & " -out " & oq _
     & " -name " & IntOpts.IName _
     & " -pid " & Str(GetCurrentProcessId())
     IntOpts.pid = shell(s, vbNormalFocus)

--- End code ---

(s is the sequence itself where DarwinbotsIM.exe is the program name)

I have already coded up 'local IM mode' (LocalDBIM) to test this feature, look for it on SVN. However, I did improve the 'saverobotbody'/'loadrobotbody' algo. (there where some multibot issues I had to work trough) so if we do need to test it we need to use version 2.45.03Beta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version