Author Topic: Running DB on Mac.  (Read 3594 times)

Offline rwill128

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Running DB on Mac.
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »
Hey -- wasn't sure where to post it, but it seemed like a newbie questions, so here it is.

My girlfriend just got her new MacBook Pro in the mail, and I was really looking forward to seeing how DB2 runs on it -- I don't know why I didn't reach the obvious conclusion that it might not run on it.

Does anyone here use a Mac, and if so, what tools/methods do you use to run DB2? Also, if you have to use a VM or something (I'm not too familiar with how they work) does it slow the performance down a lot?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Running DB on Mac.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
I've run DB2 in ubuntu with wine in the past, I think that'll also work with a mac. There's a wiki page about it that might help you.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
Yep, Wine is going to be your best bet.  Though my understanding is that wine on mac is sort of hit or miss.  Let us know how it goes!

Offline rwill128

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
I tried it for a minute this afternoon, and Wine needed some extra downloads -- one of them was called "X11."

I didn't go much further with it because she'd just gotten it in the mail today and she's not too comfortable with a bunch of software appearing on it right away that she's not familiar with. And I frankly am not good enough with Macs to feel comfortable clogging up her new computer with extra stuff.

I might come back and get it working though -- it's an i7 processor that would be very fun to watch DB run on.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »
Generally wine is hit or a miss. X11 is quite common in linux, quite some window managers use it. I even thought mac had it default installed.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.