Author Topic: THANK YOU DEVS!!!!  (Read 6016 times)

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
THANK YOU DEVS!!!!
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »
A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE DEVS WHO CREATED AND ARE UPDATING DB!!!!! As a game dev myself, I know that developing software is hard without people showing support for you project. So this is the place where people can and will express their gratitude.  :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: THANK YOU DEVS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
Me from 8 years ago says thank you :)

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »
also could the devs intoduce themselves and explain a bit about their role in this thread too?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
Yea, I have to say ty as well  :D

I am basically interested in AGI (Artificial General Intelligence). Mainly in the human outsmarted by machine category. Was hooked on DarwinBots since it was rewritten in English (original developer Carlo as Italian) It is a very cool base for developing AGI research because of how closely it mimics real micro-biology. The other reason I got hooked was because it was originally written in vb6. Vb6 is my first programming language. I am also interested in Space-combat video games, and am hoping to merge both interests at some point.

Numsgil is our global administrator. He is also working on a port of darwinbots he probably can tell you more about.

We had several other main developers over the years making feature requests and bug fixes from users and generally dictating the direction they want to see program to go. I am one of these developers right now.

Due to the fact that we are restricted by cyberspace, we usually do not have more then one developer working on the program at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:24:19 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
I worked a bit on DB2 when I first joined, but VB6 is a rough language to do much of anything in.  Anymore I'm working on a new version in C# which will be Darwinbots 3 when I finish.  Hopefully sometime this decade at least.

You say you're a game dev?  Which company do you work for?  I work for Havok doing support.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:28 AM »
I revel in the fact that I dont actually HAVE to work (child labour is banned :P) heheh... Im 13 and I am currently developing a game similar to the cell stage in Spore (the commercial video game by EA Games i think). when i grow up, i want to be an indie game dev cos theyre awesome :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:10:43 AM »
Yes, being 13 would make it difficult to get a job :P

Indie developers are kind of "in" right now, but I definitely like working with big name games.  You're only touching a very small piece of the overall game, but you have the man power to solve some really specific problems an indie developer would just have to live with.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
the thing i like about indies is that they can do what they want and that generates a lot of creativity. it also means that you dont have to kiss coporate ass all the time :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
You'd be surprised how little ass kissing you have to do in the game industry.  Most people in it are there because they have a passion for games, and programmers at least are known for being a little blunt.  I work in genes and a t-shirt, for instance.  You don't always get to work on the game you want to make, but everyone on a team usually has some impact on the creative direction of the game.  Except for testers.  That's a rough job.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:21:17 AM »
but im still holding my ground on the creativity issue  :happy:

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
I would love to be a game developer. But I am stuck in Sarasota, Florida with an Institute Certificate after getting 525 on the MCPD :/

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 12:53:32 AM »
MCPD? is that like VCE for australia? and what is the max score? 1000?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
The max score on the Microsoft Certified Professional Developer 70-536 is 1000.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »
and the pass rate is?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
700 :P

I got:

Developing applications that use system types and collections  = 37%

Implementing service processes, threading, and application domains in a .NET Framework application = 59%

Embedding configuration, diagnostic, management, and installation features into a .NET Framework application = 57%

Implementing serialization and input/output functionality in a .NET Framework application = 66%

Improving the security of .NET Framework applications by using the .NET Framework security features = 60%

Implementing interoperability, reflection, and mailing functionality in a .NET Framework application = 34%

Implementing globalization, drawing, and text manipulation functionality in a .NET Framework application = 60%

I can not give you more details then that because it will be a contract violation :P

The thing about being an indie game dev. is if you want a game that is on the same level as the pro. guys you will have to invest a whole lot of time into development or just get really lucky with guys that know what they are doing. The other option is to work over the net. That is what I am doing now for DB. I have a really crazy game idea I want to try later, but I guarantee you I will not have the man power to pull it of. (I can't go into the details, but it will involve an almost infinite amount of perspective distance triangle calculations, like when you move away from the mountain the mountain outline becomes simpler until it is a simple triangle)