Author Topic: hi  (Read 7131 times)

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
hi
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:12:27 AM »
hi, my name is magnus,  i recently found this amazing program... ehm, the reason i came to this forum is, im having a small problem with
i think 2.45.01, if i start new, then, do it again, again, like 15 times, the text in the right click menu and the toolbar disappers, and the "add" button, doesent open the "open" dialouge, exiting the application, causes an out of memory error to disapper

this has happend me multiple times, just by simply restarting several times

(i didnt find the technical support section, for darwinbots2... sorry if i actually missed it...)

thanks  :D
WARNING: Found unknown Windows version: Windows 7

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
Hi and welcome. The subject matter expert will undoubtedly give you your answer, but I 'll be the first to welcome you. Have fun!

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
thanks, its a shame this game isnt as popular as it deserves to be...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
Sounds like there's a memory leak.  You can avoid it by not restarting the sim over and over :)

We'll see if Bots wants to try and fix it.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
yeah... ha ha, im new to this way of.. programming, you know, changing code, restart, test new code, restart
btw, whats the diffrence with 

.[memory] and
*.[memory] ?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
.[memory] resolves to a number.  For instance, .repro means memory location 300.

*.[memory] means what the memory reads in that location.  *.repro is probably going to be 0, until you store something there with eg: 50 .repro store.  Then *.repro would be 50.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
aha, so
. is location
*. is value? ok, cool  :D

btw... what happend,.. i mean.. wasent  this game.. very popular a long time ago.. then it died out?, cause, the forum is pretty dead...  :huh: quite sad  :( now when i think about it...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy studying for exams. Like Numsgil said the best thing you can do is restart the program and reload your saved simulation. Memory leaks in visual basic 6 are an epic pain to fix, especially because they occur differently on different computers.

We have lost a couple developers over the years, that's why the forum looks dead. I am guessing the main reason they left was because they where satisfied with there work and decided to move on (Numsgil can correct me if I am wrong on this) We still have other developers that are contributing, but you have to remember that this project is our hobby, therefor we may be busy with other stuff that takes more priority. I personally want to see version 3 in action, so I guess we are all waiting for something so the forum looks dead.

I am planning about 4 more releases for version 2

I also suggest you use darwinbots 2.45.2C, you can find it in the announcements board.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:45:07 PM by Botsareus »

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
oh, how sad that many left,... hobby, yeah :) pretty good hobby, i always loved programming myself.. even due i kinda suck at it xD, well... yeah, good luck with darwinbots3!, this amazing game is so unique and epic :)

also, is there a portable version, that can be runned whitout administration login?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:02:37 AM by endercrypt »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
Yeah, interest waxes and wanes.  At the moment it's definitely waned.  There's a multiplier effect as more people stick around and post interesting things to the forum, and then that draws others in.  So if you stick around long enough others might gain interest :)

There is some work on a stand alone version that doesn't need admin rights, yeah.  See this topic.  You should be able to take out the version of Darwinbots in that portable zip and put in any other version (read the whole thread, though.  The post I'm thinking about is maybe a dozen posts in).

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:13:11 AM »
yah, i been trying to get my friends at school to play darwinbots2, the standalone version is gonna be very helpfull :)  yaa know where i can learn more about darwinbots2? the wiki has been very helpfull, but not that detailed...

btw i have 2 questions...

1. where can i post a suggestion for the game?...
2. the eye.. seem to return a value from.. 0 to..? 32000? .. how does that work...?

also.. heres a virus i made, but it doesent seem to do what i told it to do..
Code: [Select]
cond
*.genes 1 = or
*.thisgene 1 >
start
50 .repro store
*.thisgene 1 sub .delgene store
stop

by placing it as the first gene in my bot, it shouldnt cause any harm to it...
and it should delete all othere genes at the enemy, while forcing it to repro..., ?, but it doesent seem to work, whats the problem?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:15:57 PM by endercrypt »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
Asking questions in the forum is going to be a good start.  If you really want to know how something works you'll need to look in the code.  See VB version source code.

1.  There's a suggestions forum.  Suggest away!  Anymore Botsareus is the only one playing in the VB6 code, though, so our ability in the short term to make changes is limited.

2.   The exact formula is a bit magic.  But the basic idea is that the value is inversely proportional to distance.  So bigger values mean what you're looking at is closer.

Your condition needs to look like this:

cond
*.genes 1 =
*.thisgene 1 > or

Remember, in reverse polish notation "A or B" becomes "A B or".

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 03:29:13 AM »
some more questions...
1. could.. you try to explain the eye return value?..
2. also.. the ref values... are they always linked to the front bot in  eye5, the focused eye?
3. isnt is a little... cheating.. of bots lowering theire size to.. like.. so small you barely can see them?... only ties can get them...
4. does .fixpos, instantly frezze a bot at position?

is a nano bot... a bot with 1 gene, no conditions and only 1 store command?
single gene bots.. can have conditions right?

not that this really matters in the creation of a bot.. but its cool to know :D

Offline Tilthanseco

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
Ello!

2. The ref values refer to the eye in focus. Which is eye5 by default but can be changed using .focuseye.
             *.eyef can be used to refer to the focus eye also.
             ref values can also use touch (collisions)

3. Small bots do have disadvantages: they can't see as far, they have much weaker shots, they don't have as much nrg, and ect.

4. I think as it currently works that .fixpos does freeze the bot at that position.
Undisputed creator of bot Sonar!

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »
ol, cool, also
why doesent this code seem to work..
100 *.nrg div 1000 mult .repro store.repro seems to get the value 0..
its suppose to give a % to repro a bot with ~1000 nrg