Code center > Old Suggestions Awaiting Programming

New DNA commands

(1/3) > >>

Numsgil:
Been talking with Zelos about the kind of DNA repair some organisms have over their own DNA.  Here are some useful commands we've come up with:

Delete gene (already exists)
Copy Gene (create a copy of a gene and place it randomly in the genome.)
Compare content (returns a boolean.  If the content of two genes is different, returns true.  Otherwise it returns false).
Gene length (returns the length of a gene.  Then you can compare length with another).

There are some others Zelos had in mind but these are the ones I'm most comfortable with.

Here's a method for limiting the possibility of a particularly useful gene mutating.  It's still alot of work though.

Create three copies.  Each gene saves it's *.thisgene to a memory location to one of three predefined memory location so the others can find it (that's some coding in and of itself).

Gene 3:
if gene 1 != gene 3
delete gene 1
copy gene 2

Gene 2:
if gene 3 != gene 2
delete gene 3
copy gene 1

Gene 1:
if gene 2 != gene 1
delete gene 2
copy gene 3

If any gene mutates the others catch it.  If gene 1 mutates, so it's overwritting the delete and copy genes before it, that's okay.  Eventually the copied gene 3 will be placed after gene 1, making the now gene 3 the one with the final say.

shvarz:
hmm, interesting idea...  I'm for it.

Shen:
From a fighterbot perspective viruses are waaaaay overpowered. Basically kill a bot in one shot that travels the length of the field, and no defence against it. Some sort of antibodies similar to poison could protect against the initial gene insertion.

Im not up on my cancer treatment atm so I dunno :(

Numsgil:
Slime protects against viruses.  Build more slime to stop viruses from getting you.

Light:

--- Quote ---From a fighterbot perspective viruses are waaaaay overpowered. Basically kill a bot in one shot that travels the length of the field, and no defence against it.
--- End quote ---
It is possible to detect and delete viruses with the current controls, just no one has released a bot that does, besides viruses that kill instantly aren't that usefull, its better to have ones that spread and weaken the entire species

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version