Author Topic: Randombot evolution sim  (Read 15071 times)

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Randombot evolution sim
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 06:02:23 AM »
Good idea - I'll try that when I have a mo.  Are you sure you want all this data though?  Currently I have 500 vegs which appear to be thriving but are pretty much all different...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
I don't need all of the data, maybe 20 robots or so... maybe by luck I'll get a couple that are doing well... in any case I want to see how they look like even if they are the crappier type
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:20:35 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
Sure.  Would you like a copy of my settings file as well? They have evolved to survive under those conditions...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
might as well, thx

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
Hi- I know I haven't posted anything here in a while. The reason is that I realised that my mutation rates were set far too high, and there was no way I could go through all the bots and change their rates one by one. As such, I restarted the sim with rates of a 10th of that which I was using before.
The sim has been running for over three months with no development. Today however, bots with a sustainable reproduction cycle evolved. Once I have sorted through them, further slowing their mutation rates (there was still an alarming amount of mutation happening), I will post the sim here. My next goal is to slowly reduce the energy the bots receive for photosynthesis from a frankly cushy 8 per kBP down to 1.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 03:23:07 AM »
what mutation rate did you set the sim to?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
what mutation rate did you set the sim to?

I have the mutation rate set at 1/32nd, but I also adjusted the individual mutation rates by multiplying the default values by 100.  Currently most of the species in my sim have a species diversity of about a half of their population.  Taking into account that their genetic data is ~1000 bp long and the bots tend to live a long time (there are no predators currently in my system), most of this diversity will be due to point mutation.

I think the veggie population has now adapted to the world parameters I wanted, so it's now time to introduce a predator of some sort.  What would the veterans of evosims suggest as the best way to create a predator by mutation?  Randombots sat next to veggies which spray out energy packets?  I'd like to keep the sim with all my currently evolved veggies going if possible, so I need to evolve the predators to the point that they can look after themselves and then I can drop them into the current sim.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
You might get some results by having energy-spreading bots, yeah.  But you'll need to keep an eye on the bots and change the settings they face as they adapt, or the sim will start crawling.

Usually "predator" bots will evolve to just swim in a single direction firing constantly.  But that might be all you need.

Keeping the two populations from killing each other would be much harder.

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 06:59:29 AM »
Well yeah my plan was to use the second sim long enough to get the predator bots eating and then move them over to the other sim.  Hopefully if they're not too well adapted they'll only be marginally successful and I can get a sustainable sim going. I'm hoping to have them end up in an evolutionary arms race...