Author Topic: plants herbivores and carnivores  (Read 7018 times)

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
plants herbivores and carnivores
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:22:24 AM »
I was just thinking about some comment surrounding the implementation of .chloro and came up with a suggestion. Implement a digestive track in DB to create the distinction between herbivores and carnivores. The mechanism should be something as follows:
both .chloro and .body translate into mass, inertia and energy consumption when moving
eating is absorbing .chloro or .body into the gut, adding mass to the predator
absorbed .chloro and .body have have a rate of digestion which differs and is dependent on predator size (body is digested twice as fast as chloro, both are digested proportionally to predator mass)
absorbed .chloro and .body each have their own conversion rate into energy (1 body gives 10 times the amount of energy 1 chloro does)
With these rules we should be able to build a food chain in db.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: plants herbivores and carnivores
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
As far as I understand the problems they are having are not theoretical.

They stem from the fact that the code is cross referenced all over the place.
Also, no one is on the same page:

In my opinion the stupidest thing they have done was the first thing they did was go to where .veg Boolean was declared and delete the declaration.
This makes almost every other module not work. Even if you go trough the simulation codes and hack trough most of the errors, you may get a decent simulation but the rest of the program will still not work. I have tried to get Shasta to post there work back on SVN commenting what they have changed but that is not happening ether. Plus, the code already up on the SVN is not commented very well. Combine that with all the cross referencing and I have no idea what they are doing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:54:27 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
The subversion repository for Darwinbots 2 has been restructured and the latest code is up.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
Cool, I will check it out when I get a chance; Happy New Year to All!

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
Looks straight forward enough to me. I have not checked all the known bugs yet because the code does not look much different (it is in trunk under DarwinBots2 right?)

I think (based on bitlife as well as common sense) we need robots per re-spawn event and max number of robots. Maybe we can make the SpecList floating independent of the SSTab1 and then show and reposition unto General, see picture to understand what I mean:

We can make a copy of the SpecList as well, but I think it will save control memory and coding by just 'refloating' it.

New word: 'refloating' making a control look like it exists at two places at once although it is the same control that just got repositioned.

What do you think Shasta?

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
A maximium number of bots is already in there somewhere.. What is the added value of your proposal?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »
Vegs always had a cap separate from the rest of the robots...

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:19:53 AM »
I prefer using dynamic cost and energy as a function of body size (for veggies) to control population. More realistic is more fun to me. Initially there will be population explosions when reproductive restrictions in a gene break, but as the simulation evolves this happens less and less.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »
I am working with 2.44.1 F1 mode (as you may already know) and I love the settings for the way they are now.
I need a limit on how many chloroplasts there is on the screen. Maybe a soft limit to prevent mutating vegs from hitting a brick wall.

I am cooking up my own version of chloroplast darwinbots, with all of my ideas. But I total have no time to code it. Partly because I really have no time, partly because I am procrastinating, and partly because I want to see the result of Pandas and Shastas work (and I don't want to step on there toes)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
I'm sure it'll be released at some point... not sure when, at all, though. I can't remember what features I added into it and what needed fixing(other than internet mode) and I don't have VB6 on my computer anymore. At some point I will look at it again, though, when I can get around to installing VB6 and when I have no exams. I decided to book up my ideas and get grades 3 grades higher than what I have at the moment which includes resitting exams and stuff. I will get around to continuing eventually but it may be at some time in the summer.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
lol, I was planning my stuff for the summer as well...

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
Well, to be honest, I think these exams are important, really. They decide whether I'm going to Uni or not.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
work independently and merge later? Or make a fork and see survival of the fittest at work...

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »
don't know yet, we will figure something out...

for now, good luck Panda...