Author Topic: Helping  (Read 10518 times)

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Helping
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
I should be able to start helping on friday.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Helping
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:16:32 AM »
Cool.  How much background do you have in math and physics?  I want to make sure I can give you a task that's not going to be too hard or too easy.

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
Well i know c++ pretty well. I only have a middle school education in math but i am very good at it and would learn more if i needed to. I know some physics but i cant find any good tutorials on it or how to implement it into proggramming. Also is c# much different than c++? I mean in the proggramming part is it similar in the way it c++ looks and acts?

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
I am also learning how to make gui's for windows, the ones that programs like notepad have. I am gonna learn opengl but that will also have to start on friday.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
C# is similar to C++.  The syntax will feel familiar at least.  It's closer to java, but it's not super weird like Caml or Lisp.

Here's two fairly small tasks.  Either (or both) would be a good way to get your feet wet.

First, there's a bug I noticed in my unit testing framework after I fixed some performance issues.  It has to do with callstacks.  Clicky

Second, I need someone to write Parse and TryParse methods for my Vector class.  I've already done it for my Scalar class, and Vector is literally just a pair of scalars, so it should be pretty easy.

First step would be to grab the code from the repository and make sure you can get things compiling.  Check the wiki for that, and let me know if you have any issues.  The first issue is inside UnitTestSharp.sln.  The second issue is inside Azimuth.sln (each module gets its own solution file).  So make sure you can get either/both of those compiling and running.

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
Ok. What does it mean to build a dll locally? Also do you want me to program Parse and Tryparse, If so what do you want them to do? I have learned c++ but i havent had much experience proggramming with it so i don't understand some things.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:40 AM »
Each module spits out compiled binaries to the "bin" directory, and these get checked in.  So in theory you don't have to build any binaries except the ones you're currently modifying.

For the unit testing bug, it's a bug I see only when using the binary that's checked in to the repository.  If I build the UnitTestSharp.dll locally, it works like it should.  So first step for that one would be to verify that you can reproduce it.  I was building Azimuth (the math library) when I first saw it, so just "rebuild" the Azimuth solution and check the output and see if it matches up with what's in that bug report.

For the parsing, see clicky for an example for a float.  It basically converts a string representation to an actual instance of an object.  I just want something similar for Vectors.  There's some methods set up in the code right now, but they just throw exceptions saying they aren't implemented for Vector.  You need to write tests to verify that they work (check out the Scalar class's unit tests for an idea of what to test for and how to set up tests), and then actually make them work (ideally in that order, because it's considered good practice).  It'll make more sense if you look at the code in Azimuth, I think.

I can break this down in to more step-by-step instructions, if you need.  Part of the effort is just understanding Visual Studio and the basic layout of all the modules and how things fit together a bit.  Browse the source a bit and see if it makes any sense or not.

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
Ok i cant start until friday due to my internet, but then i will look at it.

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
When you say you built UnitTestSharp.dll locally do you mean on your pc and then if it isnt local you are just useing the version of it that is in the repository online? All im saying is what does it mean when you say you build it locally? Also i have slow internet most of the time (about 20kbps) so when i go to upload a modified version of DB3 would it take a long time?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
You might want to read this to get some background on how repositories work, that sort of thing.

I checked out the Azimuth.dll from the repository, and on my machine it produces the bug.  Recompiling it from source to create a working copy magically fixes the bug.  The source used to build the assembly in both cases is identical, so it's a mystery to me :)

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
How do i get the project files?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Oh, sorry, I thought you had found the wiki page on it.

clicky

Offline havingphun

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »
Im sorry but i cant help my computer crapped out and i cant download the files and vc wont work

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »
Everything is still c#2k08 right?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile