Author Topic: Re-writing DB in JAVA  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re-writing DB in JAVA
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
 :blink:

No, really. Converting procedural code into object orientated.

Somebody want to lend a hand?

Also, if we could get a SVN set up for it, that'd be sweet.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Re-writing DB in JAVA
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
This has actually been something on my mind for a long time (Mainly because Java is my native language); I'm not too great at programming UI and I/O stuff, but would be glad to lend a hand at anything else.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
Honestly, there really isn't a great reason to make a Java version of DB. DB2 sucks to work on, yes, but if you just copy it, the same problems will remain no matter what language it is written in. I have been a bit MIA the last month, but I will get the next version out at some point :dry:

DB3 would be a much better place to focus any development effort towards a new version of Darwinbots. C# is similar to Java, but in many cases I believe it is a much nicer language. C# can also be cross-platform through the Mono project and with the modular structure of DB3 this should be too hard, and is something I'm willing to look at in the future.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
DB3 isn't finished though :|  Plus I think we can pretty much ignore most of the code of DB2 and rewrite it.

the reason I say java is that it doesn't require messing about with to work on other OS's. Mono is nice and all, but I'd rather not have to install a bunch of libraries to make one thing work. Pretty much everybody has java.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Well, it looks like DB3 is nearing completion (The last post I see in the forum was in November when Nums was messing around with graphics); I'm willing to wait a few months before a new project is started. In the meantime, I'll just quietly stalk the forum...as always...  :D
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
My 2 cents:

I attempted a C++ port a few years back.  From that experience, I can tell you that most of the problems in the current DB2 source are a product of the source code itself and the way it's architected, not the language (though the language certainly isn't helping things).  Also, while the core engine routines are easy enough to translate, there is extensive UI code (thousands of lines worth) that is not at all easy to translate to anything outside of VB itself.  Some of the code in the darker recesses is even a mystery as far as why it's there and what it's doing.  Even moving to VB.NET is prohibitive (at least 3 different coders (myself, Eric, and someone else I think...) have tried it and given up), and that's about the closest modern language to VB6 around.

It's so tempting to think that if you rewrite the source in another language (probably one you're comfortable with) it'll be cleaner and easier to work with.  But the reality is that what makes the code unwieldy to work with are bits that you just can't really rip out or smooth over easily regardless of the language.  Graphics routines reach into robot memory, everything is global, there's no clear separation of duties, every UI widget has custom code somewhere that connects it to the relevant member of simopts, etc.

But I went through this exact same thought path myself when I tried to port to C++, so I can't be too judgemental :P  But first hand experience and general programming experience from work all tells me that trying to move this monstrosity to another language in its current form is a mistake.

If we really wanted to move the current DB2 code to another language, because maybe suddenly all VB6 apps in the world stopped working or something, here's the path I would recommend (it's boring and not sexy at all, but there is no doubt in my mind that it's the best way to approach the problem):

1.  Refactor the current VB6 code to be clean.
2.  Make sure it still works the same as before.
3.  Now port it.

Doing #1 sort of breaks the need for #3, though (which is why it's boring and unsexy), and doing #1 well involves knowing VB6 very well, which again breaks most of the need for an actual port.  But a good analogy: when you move houses, you put stuff in boxes instead of trying to move things individually.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm a little drunk, so this might not make that much sense. I'll revise it if it's unclear.

What about if we draw a flowchart style thing of what DB2 actually does. Like, in general, what's processed. In each of those processes, what happens? etc etc

Then build the program again from scratch.

Less porting the code, more porting the function.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
More or less what I was thinking - copying the features of DBII, creating a framework and them building everything from scratch...in fact, I thought that was what you meant in the first place...
- Carl Sagan

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:04 PM »
At that point, what actual advantage do you gain over helping with DB3 though?

If you want to work on a new version I can setup a new SVN repository and what not, that takes all of 2 minutes; but do we really need another version of Darwinbots?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:44:20 PM by Shasta »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
I suppose not, but I'm more comfortable in Java and looking at a whole pile of code in a foreign language made me feel a little overwhelmed. Plus I'm too lazy to download a C# dev kit for mac  :glare:
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:40 AM »
Clicky.

Just saying...  don't let that stop you.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:53:30 AM »
OT (but that hasn't ever stopped me or anyone else on this forum): eta for db3?

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
Alright, I'm convinced. Working on DB3 would be better than wasting my time in java.

I reckon we should set a deadline and really get it going though. like, 6 months tops to get everything together and have a working version to show...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
OT (but that hasn't ever stopped me or anyone else on this forum): eta for db3?

I'm a few weeks (IRL time, assuming my current pace) from finishing what I need to finish with the Math stuff ('Azimuth').  Then I can start on the physics engine ('Lodestone'), which has some stuff already.  I've written a few physics engines in my time, so I could probably pump out a working version in maybe 50 man hours (say, 2 months real time).  Then graphics still needs work.  I don't have a good handle on how much work is left, but certainly a few weeks at least.  Then we can start on Darwinbots proper and tie it all together and get bots moving on screen.  I didn't really do any work on Darwinbots between like last February and October, so there's still a fair amount of work to be done.

I reckon we should set a deadline and really get it going though. like, 6 months tops to get everything together and have a working version to show...

Problem is that it's hard to judge in terms of 'real time' since I usually can only work on Darwinbots on weekends (it's really hard to come home after staring at code at work and stare at code some more :P), and even then sometimes I'm just not in to it and play games instead :P

If people are getting to a point where they have time/effort to spare for DB3, though, I can start delegating some tasks.  But fair warning: I'm not sure any of it is very fun or interesting.  Or the parts that are fun and interesting are also extremely technical so you have to be dedicated enough to probably go way outside your comfort zone and read dozens or hundreds of pages of stuff before you even touch the code (I'm thinking specifically shader work in graphics.  It's not hard, but if you have no idea how a graphics card actually works and how data gets pipelined it's easy to get lost).

Anyway, I'll see if I can't put together a roadmap and log some issues in Mantis and then I can start posting tasks and interested people can take them and run with it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:22:00 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
I can help, that'll get it out quicker, maybe... :p