Author Topic: NEED PASSWORD FOR SVN:  (Read 8959 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NEED PASSWORD FOR SVN:
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
So, I go to :

http://www.darwinbots.com/svn/Darwinbots3/

and I can't just copy and paste everything on my hard drive.

I currently have Internet, so I am going to reinstall smartSVN.

I have sent an e-mail to the 2002 Numsgil address requesting a password.

While I wait, I will download and Install smartSVN on my laptop the miraculously has internet while I am sitting here at home.

In other news, most of my free time I had is gone due to me attending college, a class in business computer programming.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:41:38 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Web based browsing of the Darwin Bots SVN SU***S
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
hmmm,  I hope SmartSVN is still free, so it won't ask me for serial after 30 days or so..

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
NEED PASSWORD FOR SVN:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
My old title was not too catchy so I wrote a new thread:

NEED PASSWORD FOR SVN: GO TO: http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3491.0.html

the mod can delete both threads after I get the password.

hmm, I think there should be a more straight forward way to request passwords for this things... just an idea...

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: NEED PASSWORD FOR SVN:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
I merged the topics, just wait a little while next time, I check the forums pretty often, posts will be seen. The browser based "interface" really just shows the current state of things, its not for downloading or committing. SmartSVN just downgrades to a different version after 30 days, it still works. All of the repositories have public read access. Checkout (using a SVN client) the code from one of these urls:

http://www.darwinbots.com/svn/Darwinbots3
http://www.darwinbots.com/svn/Darwinbots2

If you have some code to submit, send me a pm with which one you want access to and I can set it up for you.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
Sweet, I got it, I got DB in c#!!!!

Where is the file to 'open' the 'project' into c#?

I see a bunch of solutions (.sln files), where is the main one?

I am taking an educated guess that it is under 'core'. This think is massive!

ok, it does not compile, giving me errors...

Is there actual form layouts anywhere here? (Like vb6 form --> control layouts)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:07:00 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
DB3 is divided up into a bunch of components that will join together to become the usable simulation. See the wiki on DB3. Currently there is nothing resembling a simulation ala BD2. All of the work right now is on the math and physics libraries (Azimuth and Lodestone respectively). There isn't anything to really jump straight into coding for DB3 (I think, Numsgil is the one who really knows).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
The solution files (*.sln) are the things to open.  They're for individual modules of the code, as Shasta pointed out.  Yes, it's quite massive.  The idea is that you don't have to understand the whole thing at once, though, but can work in isolation on one small part at a time.  Most of the work up to know has been on the unit testing framework (UnitTestSharp), DNA (Sunweaver) and the math library (Azimuth), which has stuff for linear algebra and polynomial root finding and basic stuff like that.  There's skeletons for the other parts (graphics and physics).

If you want to see how the pieces might fit together, you can see a speculative diagram here.

Also as pointed out, there isn't a DB3 .exe to run, really.  Need to get physics and graphics finished before any sort of DB3.exe could be built.    I specifically want to avoid work on an actual .exe until the lower subsystems are done to prevent a horse-before-the-cart scenario.  There are unit tests to run for each project, along with some test apps to test that specific feature. 

So like for graphics, there's a sample app that will become a really simple paint program to let you draw stuff and see how the graphics system handles it, if it can swap out different graphics modules at runtime (XNA to GDI, etc.), and things like that.  For physics I'll probably try to create a physics playground app sort of like Crayon Physics to test out physics scenarios that we're interested in, like towering plants, digging into the ground, etc., to make sure they're stable.  For math, there's the starts of a performance analyzer (since linear algebra stuff tends to be quite slow), etc.

If you're looking for a module to work on, someone figuring out graphics would be a pretty good, self contained project.  I've sort of made a hash of it so far, but the idea is that it's a vector graphics library with support for hot swapping different ways of doing graphics based on your system.  I was starting to play with adding skeletal animation as well, to make it useful for other game projects I might want to work on in the future, but that's right about when I started to dislike how things were going, so I might need to rethink that.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
Well that is kind of the opposite of how I build software. I actually design the main stuff, and then add-on the features that I need, however, I have never wrote anything close to the complexity of DB by myself so I will not judge.

There are unit tests to run for each project, along with some test apps to test that specific feature. 

How do I do unit tests?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Each *.sln has a unit test project in it.  It's set up to run as a post build event.  So if you build the project, and look at the raw output of the compile, you should see something like:

456 tests passed
Testing took 1.2356 seconds

If a test fails, it will show up like a compile error.  It's meant to work much like UnitTest++.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
ok, so I like visual stuff rather then: '456 tests passed'. So when I get chance I will work on the painting(visual) module. But I need to know a few things:

A. What will be the name and solution file for the painting(visual) model?
B. Did you figure out the physics for true wrap around? (very glitchy in DB2 right now with big multi-bots)
C. I know I have wrote before but, since you like the robots to 'stretch' and robots will 'attach' to each other at 'end points,' how will tie feeding look like (and work) ?
D. I just had a crazy, complex, brain storm on this but, How do you want the robot skin lines to generate, and do you have any code on that already? If no, I will write a nice vb6 prog. that demos my method (although I will have a lot of fun figuring how to recode it into c#) It involves changing DNA into binary and using it as a pixel template for the later generated lines.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:30:08 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
All of the graphics stuff is inside Modules/Graphics. Inside there are several different folders Graphics/Core is the standard interface to drawing objects, then each of the others actually goes about the action of drawing something. Graphics/XNA is the one with the most work on it, so I would look at that. You will need the XNA SDK (v 3.X) to test it out though. You can download that here.

Tangential:
Clutter / ClutterSharp might be a good library to look into, cross platform (Mono), with OpenGL accelerated drawing

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
 :wacko: I just tried to 'Start Debugging' Graphics.Xna. I get:
The Project with the output type class library cannot be started directly.
I already have Xna 3.X installed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:06:41 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
Also, I think I found the 'meat' of the thing: "EnqueueDrawable" where is it coded?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:05:49 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Ok so far I still got:

B. Did you figure out the physics for true wrap around? (very glitchy in DB2 right now with big multi-bots)
C. I know I have wrote before but, since you like the robots to 'stretch' and robots will 'attach' to each other at 'end points,' how will tie feeding look like (and work) ?
D. I just had a crazy, complex, brain storm on this but, How do you want the robot skin lines to generate, and do you have any code on that already? If no, I will write a nice vb6 prog. that demos my method (although I will have a lot of fun figuring how to recode it into c#) It involves changing DNA into binary and using it as a pixel template for the later generated lines. See Suggestions : Say hello to my little friend.
E: I think I found the 'meat' of the Graphics.XNA: "EnqueueDrawable", am I right, and where is it coded?
F: just tried to 'Start Debugging' Graphics.Xna. I get:
The Project with the output type class library cannot be started directly.
why? what to do?

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
B. No idea
C. I don't think there will be "ties" such as they are now in DB2 (I very well could be wrong here)
D. I'm also not sure that the new bots will use the random squiggly lines inside of them anymore
E. I haven't looked too much at the graphic modules, but EnqueueDrawable cascades down to BatchPool.QueuePrimitive
F. That error message means exactly what it says, the Graphics.Xna project spits out a library (.dll) you can't start a .dll directly. Take a look at the testbed.