Author Topic: Intelligence  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Intelligence
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
Do you think that it is possible that, if we had the processing power, and the time, that DarwinBots could create some form of higher intelligence. I can see a problem with limited memory stores, but I am sure that some sort of intelligence could come out of it.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
Assuming higher intelligence could form on a conventional computer (I have a pet theory it requires some true randomness, which would imply either connecting to some fancy radioactive-decay-random-number-generator-hardware or quantum computers), I think it's possible.  Because I think it's possible that, failing anything else, you could construct a Turing machine inside Darwinbots.

That said, if you're looking for it to actually evolve, I think we need far more processing power and memory on our actual computers running it.  You're just not going to get anywhere with single digit Ghz and a few gigs of RAM.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
I have a pet theory it requires some true randomness, which would imply either connecting to some fancy radioactive-decay-random-number-generator-hardware or quantum computers
There are some processors that have a built in random number generator (Wikipedia says the VIA C3 processors, but I seem to remember others as well), not quite perfect, but I would think they would get pretty close.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
I have a pet theory it requires some true randomness, which would imply either connecting to some fancy radioactive-decay-random-number-generator-hardware or quantum computers
There are some processors that have a built in random number generator (Wikipedia says the VIA C3 processors, but I seem to remember others as well), not quite perfect, but I would think they would get pretty close.

Yeah, something like that.  If you have that I think you have all the pieces hardware-wise to make a "slow AI" (ie: non-real time.  If Intelligence is NP Complete, maybe very non-real time).  Just becomes a matter of software.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
I just wanted to see your opinions on it, I know I would definitely need more than "I can probably get my hands on" resources, but I was sure that it was quite possible. :)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
That is what I have been doing for the last year... Hey it already beat IFlammma ...

However, I was heavily modding 2.44.1 . And if I download the new source code, I will have to start all over. The main problem is importent .ocx controls do not run on my windows7. If I can figure out how to fix that, I will SmartSVN all my updates. But do not worry, most of the new changes will be optional...

I know it can be done, bc back in the day I wrote a costume 2D shooter, the AI kicked my a**.