Poll

Read the post, and decide which one?

Chloroplasts - Idea 1
Chloroplasts - Idea 2
".setveg"
None of them

Author Topic: Chloroplasts  (Read 27975 times)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Re: Chloroplasts
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
So, I can have a go at putting this into place. I completely agree with what Nums says about what to do, and if nobody's got any objections, then I will have a go.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
Making the waste transfer when the bot divides sounds realistic and a cost you can set to simulate the waste wearing on the bots health, though I'm not so sure about waste building up all by itself. Maybe if a percentage of the energy intake will become waste per cycle....
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »
I don't like the whole permanent waste idea. We have ageing cost to model it in a more controlled way. I don't recognise testlunds observation, but it cam be overcome with increased cost of reproduction (#turns proportional to ofspring body size?)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
It would have to be a constant rate to the bot, of the total energy (energy and body?) Or bots could cheat it and just not have body, because, then being small has too many advantages, like it does at the moment.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
And, maybe, if the bots have more body, more waste is needed to effect them, as it is more evenly distributed in the bot.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
I don't recognise testlunds observation...

I've seen many examples of bots producing a large offspring leaving a tiny parent. Thats practically just restarting the ageing cost from zero. The child has full size from the beginning and don't need to do anything.

...but it cam be overcome with increased cost of reproduction (#turns proportional to ofspring body size?)

It would have to be a constant rate to the bot, of the total energy (energy and body?) Or bots could cheat it and just not have body, because, then being small has too many advantages, like it does at the moment.

Yes! Exellent! Better than ageing cost.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »
I've always avoided ageing costs, I haven't really liked them. :/

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »
They're definitely an artificial construct.  But they're a useful cattle-prod type tool if you want to encourage a particular type of evolution.  It's definitely a circular saw when you want a scalpel, though.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »
It reminds me of my overbreeding catfishes. I've had problems with them becoming too many upsetting the balance in my aquarium. A few days ago I discovered that the PH level had gone up a bit too much, so I decided to lower it with aquacid. I'm afraid I used a little too much. The old fishes that I've had for many years started dying off. There skin had become irritated causing fungus and bacteria growth, which typically only attack older and weeker fishes.
That was my artificially introduced ageing cost.  :P

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »
Do you want me to try and code this in or not?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »
Do you want me to try and code this in or not?

I do :)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »
Couldn't a veggie get body too, and then have powerful shots?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Yeah, it could, but it wouldn't be a very effective hunter since it can't move very agile-y.  Likewise, assuming the physics are reasonable (not sure where they were left off in this regard), a very large veggy would spend a lot of energy if it wanted to turn to face an attacker to fire back.  Though combined with aimshoot that might be a bit of a problem, since it wouldn't have to turn.  But even still, I think it should be balanced-ish.  Would be good to release a 'beta' version, and have people write bots for it, and see if it's in need of further balancing (ie: if veggies are overpowered).  Maybe have shots disperse more the larger a bot gets, or something.

I want to avoid arbitrary rules that prevent you from doing two things (animal vs. veggy).  It should be more that you can do two things, but you'll be less efficient than other bots that stick to one thing only.  Like you can be a predator that makes chloroplasts, but you burn so much energy being an animal that you're not as able to quickly reproduce as a pure plant, and you're so big as a plant that you can't effectively maneuver like a leaner pure animal could.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
Yeah. What about leagues, I think we might have to change that around a little.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
Got most of it done now. XD It didn't take half as long as I thought, but there are still one or two things that I have to add in, like the bot being able to know how many "chlr"s it has. And then something in the info-form telling the user how many "chlr"s the bot has. I will also need to change something on the teleporters, and mess around with the option's GUI. But the actual bots work.

At the moment a chloroplast weighs the same as body, and adds the same radius as body as well, but I am thinking about upping that, probably doubling it. The amount of "Chloroplasts needed for 1 NRG per cycle" is user changeable. It costs 10 to make a chloroplast, the same as it costs to make a body point. You get 0.05 energy back per chloroplast "removed".

"strchlr" - 316 - creates 1 chloroplast for every 10 stored in there. Max value = 100
"rmchlr" - 317 - removes 1 Chloroplast for every 10 stored in there. Max value = 100

If you want anything changing, just ask. :)