Author Topic: We need more members!  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
We need more members!
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
I think the whole of Darwinbots would benefit from a bit more biodiversity  :P

Got a friend or two you think would be interested? Why not send them the link?

It'd be good for all of DB; more sims running, more programmers creating more bots, bit more competition...

Invite as many people as you can! :D

Also, if you have any ideas on how to get a bit more people our way, feel free to comment.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:16:44 PM by Sammeh »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: We need more members!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
It would be good enough even to get some activity from existing ones. It's no use sending people to a dead site - they'll just go away. Are there people currently running in internet mode? How many, how often?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »
Not sure how many are running the inbuilt internet mode, but there's usually 3 or 4 of us on the hack. But you're right about dead members, think I'll figure a way to email everybody to try get them active...

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
3 or 4 is pretty good. Are you guys running some more or less standard settings sim? Or everyone is just on their own?
I think I may join you soon, I have a home server that just stores files for now, but is always ON - would be good to put it to some use.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
I'm running three of them right now.

One is pretty much an F1 default, but with a bit larger size and a couple of other tweaks.
Another is a decent size with some shapes, corpses, and a bit higher mutation rate than normal.
The last is like the second one, only a very large size.

If there is any kind of special settings someone wants run I would be up for that.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
@shvarz: that'd be pretty damn useful. I was thinking about setting a pc up in the attic for something like that.

@shasta: a mutation sim would be pretty cool. one that flicks between 1/16x and 16x mut every 100 cycles or something.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
We've discussed this before (probably before either of you have joined  :P ): We need a fun and easy out-of-the-box experience, where a new user would just start the default sim and get some interesting things to watch. Bots from other members should enter the sim fairly often and be able to survive.

I have to admit that I was one of the main culprits as far as standardization of sim conditions went - my sims were always the most weird ones (they were fun though). But I've come to recognize the need for a community and we can't get a community if everyone is running very different sims.

So, I would suggest that you choose a sim that is most dear to your heart (and one that is stable and long-lasting), switch all your other sims to it and also post it here. We may also modify the download package so that it comes with this sim, with the hack and with instructions on how to start DB in this mode.