Author Topic: Designed complex behaviour bots  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Designed complex behaviour bots
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
This may just be my fail-coding, but it seems to me that designed complex behaviour bots rarely survive.

I've been playing with Jeffalish, trying to get it to survive long enough to evolve and adapt, and I'm not getting anywhere :|

It just seems like the best bots are those that have simple behaviour, which evolves into more complex things.

Thoughts? (and also advice, I want my jeffalish to livvveee  :()

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: Designed complex behaviour bots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
Complex bots have much code. With equal mutation rates they will have more mutations than simple ones. Survival of the least defective is the result. I typically set the global mutation rates to 1/32 and increase the individual scores (5000->50000). This slowes muation rates giving naural selection the time to select for better fitness before other mutations occur.

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
Also, disable point mutations. They may be realistic, but they do nothing for evolution.
"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

-Charles Darwin

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
Jeffalish? I can't find it in the bestiary...
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile