Author Topic: minor interface redesigns  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
minor interface redesigns
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
With my revision of 2.45 i was thinking about redesigning the interface:

* You can only select robots when the simulation is paused.

* If you select entire organism, you can drag the entire organism.

* If simulation is running and you are zoomed in, the screen location changes with the robot, i.e. the camera follows the robot around.

* You only need to click once to select the robot, you do not need to double click.

* You can save dna to clipboard from a drop down menu.

*Instead of hash, the dna will contain a simplified stream of mutations accumulated, then the program can redisplay it as 'old mutations' in a new simulation (the cycles info will not be saved)

*The first line in the robot file will contain it's dna size, and adjust the default mutation rates accordingly.

ex:

'28
cond

* You can save and load mutation rates from a drop down menu, the default file extension will be bla.mrates.txt

* Instead of un-hiding or hiding the dna view in robot info , (old way: to hide you press "close details") The textbox 'undocks' if you hover over the view mutations or view dna buttons, which I will probably replace with picture boxes. I got the idea from the way visual studio .net shows and hides un-pinned tool bars.

* If someone is running multiple instance of the program, they need to know what chart (if any) belongs to what instance. Therefore the current randomization seed will be displayed on each chart as well as the mdi-form.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:31:56 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Re: minor interface redesigns
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »
I think instead of dragging a whole organism, you could select an area by clicking and dragging over it. Then you can deselect or select more bots using ctrl+leftclick.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
I think instead of dragging a whole organism, you could select an area by clicking and dragging over it. Then you can deselect or select more bots using ctrl+leftclick.

I am not talking about selection here, all that is already build in.

By dragging I mean repositioning a multi-bot.

Which is currently a pain bc you have to move one bot at a time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:09:35 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
What I meant was, you select a certain number of bots by dragging and then letting go, and then moving them all. You can't select more than one bot at the moment, can you?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
I also do not want to mess with selection because in must cases I will need to select a multibot (robots attached to each other) specifically.

Right now the selection is setup to let you select the whole multibot (as far as I know)

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:26:11 AM »

Why?
* If you select entire organism, you can drag the entire organism.
Yes
* If simulation is running and you are zoomed in, the screen location changes with the robot, i.e. the camera follows the robot around.
YES
* You only need to click once to select the robot, you do not need to double click.
YES
* You can save dna to clipboard from a drop down menu.
Yes
*Instead of hash, the dna will contain a simplified stream of mutations accumulated, then the program can redisplay it as 'old mutations' in a new simulation (the cycles info will not be saved)
The hash doesn't work. Fix it or drop it. If I restart I don't need old mutations
*The first line in the robot file will contain it's dna size, and adjust the default mutation rates accordingly.
No? Not quite sure what you want to achieve. When it comes to mutation rates I want to be able to make the odds much smaller by default
* You can save and load mutation rates from a drop down menu, the default file extension will be bla.mrates.txt
Why?
* Instead of un-hiding or hiding the dna view in robot info , (old way: to hide you press "close details") The textbox 'undocks' if you hover over the view mutations or view dna buttons, which I will probably replace with picture boxes. I got the idea from the way visual studio .net shows and hides un-pinned tool bars.
Ok
* If someone is running multiple instance of the program, they need to know what chart (if any) belongs to what instance. Therefore the current randomization seed will be displayed on each chart as well as the mdi-form.
I dont usually run multiple instances with graphs but seems like an idea.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:01:07 AM »
I'm gonna' guess selecting when paused is for simplicity, because selecting a multibot, with all of it's vectors ect. and then moving it would be difficult.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
Quote from: Botsareus on March 26, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Why?

Because selecting robots that are moving 100 mph is hard anyway.

And good luck if you are tracking one.

Also, If you are zoomed in but not tracking, I want to be certain that when I drag the screen to see a different part of the simulation, I will not select a robot by accident.

The hash doesn't work. Fix it or drop it. If I restart I don't need old mutations

The whole point of hash was, from Purple Ychoo (err spelling is wrong,) to prove that the robot did mutate.
I decided to keep it so I know what mutations happened the lest run (since I am doing a run based system)
I will try to compress it as much as possible.

Why?

Since I am doing a run based system I need to re introduce the most successful mutation rates.

The first line in the robot file will contain it's dna size, and adjust the default mutation rates accordingly.
No? Not quite sure what you want to achieve. When it comes to mutation rates I want to be able to make the odds much smaller by default

1.) My run based system has a dna length shortening period that is not a simple one.
I use a combination of external macros and tweaks to the program.
I need to know the length of the dna as quickly as possible. So I decided to use this method.

2.) ok, but if the robot is only like 5 commands, those odds are too small anyway.

P.S.
Thanks for comments and qustions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:11:27 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
I was thinking more about the hashcode idea. I just realized it is going to get crazy long with enough runs, so I am going to agree with Ikke halfway:

It will only store the sum of accuracies of each type of mutation.

example:

4 copy errors , 10 translocations etc.