General > Biology

Evolution doesn't work?! D:

<< < (2/5) > >>

Numsgil:
See Neoteny.  There's an interesting idea that humans are in fact basically neotenous (ie: we're cute (exhibiting child-like features) compared to other hominids).

Panda:
The dogs have well, larger eyes, floppy ears, ect... The reason why they have also become like this, is because it creates a hormone in humans that make them want to care for them more, like what happens with babies. This creates a loving bond between them. Wolves also bark much less than dogs, because dogs use it to communicate their emotions to people. Dogs can also see emotions in people, that would make it easier for them to see if it was a good time to go to people. All in all, dogs seem to be parasites, they survive by being fed by people because they wouldn't survive well in the wild, but... I suppose everything is parasitic.

Edit: it also says some of that in that Neoteny page.

Houshalter:

--- Quote from: Numsgil ---See Neoteny.  There's an interesting idea that humans are in fact basically neotenous (ie: we're cute (exhibiting child-like features) compared to other hominids).
--- End quote ---

Lol:

--- Quote ---Another theory suggests that humans' neotenous characteristics were an evolutionary strategy that enabled Cro-Magnons (Homo sapiens) to gain predominance over H. neanderthalensis (and possibly H. erectus and H. heidelbergensis) by appealing to these species' nurturing instincts through paedomorphic cuteness to avoid territorial aggression.
--- End quote ---

PAEDOMORPHIC CUTENESS!

--- Quote from: Panda ---The dogs have well, larger eyes, floppy ears, ect... The reason why they have also become like this, is because it creates a hormone in humans that make them want to care for them more, like what happens with babies.
--- End quote ---
Those little tricksters!

Numsgil:

--- Quote from: Panda ---All in all, dogs seem to be parasites, they survive by being fed by people because they wouldn't survive well in the wild, but... I suppose everything is parasitic.
--- End quote ---

Not parasitic.  They provided valuable services to neolithic humans up through modern times.  eg: sheep dogs, watch dogs, seeing eye dogs, drug sniffing dogs, etc.  It's a very symbiotic relationship.  Most domesticated animals are like this.  There are billions of cows in the world, and you can bet they would be extinct if they didn't provide benefit to humans (no wild cows anymore).

peterb:

--- Quote from: Numsgil ---
--- Quote from: Panda ---All in all, dogs seem to be parasites, they survive by being fed by people because they wouldn't survive well in the wild, but... I suppose everything is parasitic.
--- End quote ---

Not parasitic.  They provided valuable services to neolithic humans up through modern times.  eg: sheep dogs, watch dogs, seeing eye dogs, drug sniffing dogs, etc.  It's a very symbiotic relationship.  Most domesticated animals are like this.  There are billions of cows in the world, and you can bet they would be extinct if they didn't provide benefit to humans (no wild cows anymore).

--- End quote ---

Maybe not dogs but cats must be parasitic, i never see them do anything good.
And a lot of cats seam to be in control of their owners.
They do everything the cat demands, give food, cleanup, open doors etc...

It might be that cats are on top of the evolution pyramid, next below them humans to serve them
Evolution might not prefer humans to be on top...

Now that i type this suddenly my garden is swarmed by cats making strange noices, appertenly an angry mob, must hide..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version