General > Biology

Evolution doesn't work?! D:

<< < (3/5) > >>

Panda:

--- Quote from: Numsgil ---
--- Quote from: Panda ---All in all, dogs seem to be parasites, they survive by being fed by people because they wouldn't survive well in the wild, but... I suppose everything is parasitic.
--- End quote ---

Not parasitic. They provided valuable services to neolithic humans up through modern times. eg: sheep dogs, watch dogs, seeing eye dogs, drug sniffing dogs, etc. It's a very symbiotic relationship. Most domesticated animals are like this. There are billions of cows in the world, and you can bet they would be extinct if they didn't provide benefit to humans (no wild cows anymore).

--- End quote ---

Actually; yes I do agree with that .

@Houshalter: I have two cats, both of which seem to treat us like they would treat their mothers. They bring things back to show us, like mice and things like that to please us, like they would do to please their mother.

Houshalter:
I have 4 cats and they don't do anything. Well, some of them can hunt if they had to, but they don't because they get food from us. I wonder how on earth they were domesticated and why and from what. I can't immagine early humans trying to breed lions for smallness.

This kind of reminds me of a creationist video where they claim cats are a "kind" of animal that can change over time to "fit into your wife." LOLWUT?!

Panda:
Yes I agree. They don't give us "presents" much any more but they just stand in the way in your kitchen "miaw"ing for food.

Numsgil:
Domestic cats came from wildcats.  Seems sort of obvious

The primary role of early domestic cats was to eat rodents.  Rodents have been a major parasite to humans since the invention of agriculture.

Obviously modern house cats aren't really used for that purpose anymore.  They mostly fill a psychological need in modern households.

SlyStalker:
I think that 'evolution' works best with minute changes to organisms over thousands if not millions of years. Yes, sometimes it requires a great leap to spawn something new and amazing (like the first cell with a mitochondria (internal power station)), but overall, minute changes and natural selection deliver more consistent results. By the way, I don't really find the DB evolution to be very effective, as when you put two species of bots in, one wipes out another before they get a chance to evolve to a higher leve (although I guess you could just put in two species with the exact same DNA in :/ )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version