Author Topic: Running on multi core processors. (how to)  (Read 2725 times)

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Running on multi core processors. (how to)
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
I think this subject has now passed many times on the forum.
So maybe i should explain how to run DB on multiple cores, that is you can assign each program a specific CPU of your multicore system.

Press CTRL + ALT + Dell to open taskmanager
Go to processes tab; there you see a list of all processes that are currently active
Then right click darwinbot2.44.exe     (or whatever version your using)
right click it and then there is an affinity option where you can choose on wich core you run the program  
Default all processes run on all cores.  (but now you know on how to specify it)
It makes only sense to change this for processes that usage a lot of CPU (so you dont need to change all processes).

A next thing you can do is to set the priority of the process.
Basically threading is a technique so that multiple processes run (almost) parallel, side by side; thats why you can have multiple programs (windows) inside windows NT4 2000 XP vista 7 etc...
In the earlier time when people used D0S 5.x this wasnt possible, only one process could run, one program was active.
In a multithreaded environment all programs stay in a row and the CPU's divide their attention to all them switching CPU cycles between them all.
By changing affinity you change how much attention to a process is given by the CPU full attention is realtime
Realtime might result in an unstable PC and even become nonresponsive, as the prog gets all attention) ==> better is High or above normal, or just keep it to its default which is fine too.(but slightly slower)

A next thing you might consider is to use teleporters between your sims; get a free FTP server prog run it localy and your done.
(supported number of cores can also depend on your windows version)

well i thought lets explain it for people who didnt know this; your not all deep into the windows operating system.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:42:05 AM by peterb »