Author Topic: DB3 todo  (Read 4292 times)

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:21:24 PM »
OK, I guess I'll call it DB3, my idea for calling it DB# hasn't caught on so far...

So, I got the code, Where can I start? What is most pressing, yet should be somewhat easy so I don't have a sharp learning curve? TY NUMS!
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
It depends on what skills you have.  Have you ever done any of the following:

1.  Physics engine programming
2.  Graphics programming
3.  UI programming.
5.  Any game programming in general.
6.  Calculus
7.  Linear algebra
8.  Normal algebra

?

If not, would you like to?  It's all a bit technically dense.  So it involves doing a lot of reading to get up to speed.  I can probably dig up articles on whatever subject.

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »
I know all the maths, and, um... I made a guess-the-number game! Does that count?
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
Maths will help.  I've tasked a bunch of people to get the graphics system to draw circles.  But I haven't heard from any of them since.  So it's your job now.

Get FX Composer and load up the graphics.XNA solution.  Your task: write a pixel shader that can draw a circle given a quad (see the shader for drawing squares for reference).  And integrate it in to the graphics code.

Alternatively: get Graphics.GDI set up to draw quads like Graphics.XNA can.  GDI is the internal drawing routines that C# has for winforms.  I don't think there's even a solution or project set up yet.  Use the ones for XNA as a starting point.

The code is not concrete here at all, so feel free to massage it to make things easier to work with.

That's a rough outline.  If you need more direction, we can set up a skype call after work.  Do you have skype?  If not, grab it.  It's basically a way to do phone calls over internet for free.  If you don't have a mic, that's fine.  I just don't want to have to type this all out again.  What time zone are you in?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:16:18 PM by Numsgil »

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
yay sounds fun!!! My time zone is... um... Virginia!!!! Google said that's eastern. So my time is 11:00 pm when the forum says the time is 4:00 am.

So, also, a quick question... How do I run/edit this code?
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
ok, opened the .sln files, but how do I get the whole program to run? Or are we just doing one module at a time? Sounds risky, cuz if something goes wrong you've already made a huge program... I usually just code a little, then run the program a little, then code a little more.
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:32:32 AM »
Quote from: happyhamsterchan
yay sounds fun!!! My time zone is... um... Virginia!!!! Google said that's eastern. So my time is 11:00 pm when the forum says the time is 4:00 am.

Oh, that's going to make this harder.  I get off work and home at the earliest 7 PM PST.  Which is like 10 PM for you.  I'll try to set it up tomorrow (unless we play games after work at the office.  We do that sometimes).

ok, opened the .sln files, but how do I get the whole program to run? Or are we just doing one module at a time? Sounds risky, cuz if something goes wrong you've already made a huge program... I usually just code a little, then run the program a little, then code a little more.

Just modules right now.  There's no DB3.exe to run.  It's possible to code like this because:

1.  Everything's unit tested.  So I'm sure that things are working as I expect as I write the code.
2.  I've looked at Darwinbots code for so many years I have a good internal mental picture of how all the code will fit together when it's done.  So there aren't any major surprises.

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB3 todo
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil

Oh, that's going to make this harder.  I get off work and home at the earliest 7 PM PST.  Which is like 10 PM for you.  I'll try to set it up tomorrow (unless we play games after work at the office.  We do that sometimes).

Just modules right now.  There's no DB3.exe to run.  It's possible to code like this because:

1.  Everything's unit tested.  So I'm sure that things are working as I expect as I write the code.
2.  I've looked at Darwinbots code for so many years I have a good internal mental picture of how all the code will fit together when it's done.  So there aren't any major surprises.

Code for pixelshader circles is explained here    http://my.opera.com/Vorlath/blog/2008/10/2...-circle-drawing