Author Topic: Multi Core  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Multi Core
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »
Is there a way of modifying DarwinBots to make use of dual-, quad- or octo-core machines? This would mean that those running DB on dual core processors would have performance doubles, quad-core quadrupled, and so on. Computers are going to have more and more cores every year, so I think it's time to make this modification.
"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

-Charles Darwin

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Multi Core
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
Quote from: Billy
Is there a way of modifying DarwinBots to make use of dual-, quad- or octo-core machines? This would mean that those running DB on dual core processors would have performance doubles, quad-core quadrupled, and so on. Computers are going to have more and more cores every year, so I think it's time to make this modification.
Nope, at least not really. What you can do is run multiple instances of DB and isolate them onto one core of the processor. DB2 will never be multithreaded, and there are some inherent problems with multithreading DB3 also. There is a discussion about this here.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Multi Core
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »
As Shasta says.

Basically, VB6 can't really be multithreaded.  DB3 will be, but there are limits to how many cores it can effectively use.

In both cases, the most efficient way to scale by the number of processors is to run more sims and link them together with teleporters.

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Multi Core
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
Okay, just thought it was worth mentioning.
"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

-Charles Darwin