Author Topic: Numsgil, What is happin'n with DB3?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Numsgil, What is happin'n with DB3?
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

How much and what kind of stuff is already done?
Is the vegs. should be able to evolve into animals idea (e-grid and such) being implemented? (I really wanted to see this..)

I know I promised to get c# and vb.net a long time ago. However my in-home bloody internet is down so I had no way to download it on my desktop, however I am gettin' a laptop (hopefully this Sunday). Then I will be able to get the new visual studio, because we have WIFI in my condominiums club house. I will need that link to the description how to use SVN again (and where to get it). Considering I have not used SVN for at-least a year…

P.S.
Yea, I know, grammar used here was supposed to be kind'a funny...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
Haven't worked on it since late December, which is purely coincidentally when I started playing go.  I'm sure the two aren't related. ^^

At the moment I have the tools built necessary to build the tools necessary to run Darwinbots.  Specifically I have a large math library fleshed out (something like 15K lines of code).  I still need to use it to build a physics engine with.  And the graphics side of things is still very bare-boned.  With physics and graphics working I could then actually build Darwinbots proper.

The SVN is (should be) down right now.  I didn't pay the bill for the old service, since I'm going to try and move it to my shiny new server.  I'll make an announcement when it's up again.

Offline ashton15

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Haven't worked on it since late December, which is purely coincidentally when I started playing go.  I'm sure the two aren't related. ^^

At the moment I have the tools built necessary to build the tools necessary to run Darwinbots.  Specifically I have a large math library fleshed out (something like 15K lines of code).  I still need to use it to build a physics engine with.  And the graphics side of things is still very bare-boned.  With physics and graphics working I could then actually build Darwinbots proper.

The SVN is (should be) down right now.  I didn't pay the bill for the old service, since I'm going to try and move it to my shiny new server.  I'll make an announcement when it's up again.

Is there a way I can help without picking up a new language? Oh and by the way last month you asked me to remind you to fix image uploading on the wiki.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:21:22 PM by ashton15 »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:31:15 PM »
  I'll fix the images this weekend.  I should have done it last weekend when you reminded me, but I had to do my taxes and that was exhausting in its own right.

What languages do you know?  If you know java, C# should be an easy pick up.  If you know C++, it's a bit more effort.

I do have other "meta programming" tasks that could be done.  Like figuring out a way to do code coverage and stuff like that.  Otherwise, it's not really at a point where non programming tasks exist.

Offline ashton15

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
 I'll fix the images this weekend.  I should have done it last weekend when you reminded me, but I had to do my taxes and that was exhausting in its own right.

What languages do you know?  If you know java, C# should be an easy pick up.  If you know C++, it's a bit more effort.

I do have other "meta programming" tasks that could be done.  Like figuring out a way to do code coverage and stuff like that.  Otherwise, it's not really at a point where non programming tasks exist.

The closest to either of thoose that I know is one of the earlier versions of actionscript which is like java but more object oriented (at least that's what everyone else says, I've never looked at java). I had a look at C# but only very briefly and it seems I could pick it up with a bit of work... so what "meta programing" tasks are there to be completed as you put them.  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
I have just two at the moment.  See this task list, at the very bottom.  Profiling and code coverage.  I don't have a real good way to do either.  The task is to google around and see if you can find something relevant.  And if so, hook it up.

Offline ashton15

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
ProfileSharp

ProfileSharp is an open source .NET code, performance and memory profiling software. It helps you pinpoint performance bottlenecks in your .NET code and optimize memory usage.

NCover

NCover - A tool to tell you how much of your program is covered by your automatic tests.Instruments source code prior to running unit tests to establish test coverage.* Nant integration* For use with continuous integration builds.

Both are open source, though I have not personally downloaded and examined them they seem to be what your looking for, hope that helps

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
I couldn't get NCover to work for whatever reason.  They closed-source'd it a while back, so the open source version hasn't been kept up to date.

ProfileSharp might work, but I couldn't get the download button to actually do anything.

So I guess the real task is to get either of them working with the current code and write up a how-to on the wiki somewhere.

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »
profile sharp url : http://download.cnet.com/ProfileSharp-Deve...4-10453690.html

( i odnt have anye experience with the program).

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
I KNOW C#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a step-by-step tutorial (Click big green button, then big red button, etc....) that will get me from a clean win7 computer to a screen full of code? I got nothin on here as of yet.
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
Yes, there is.  See this wiki page.  The repository location will be moved soon (as soon as I can figure out how to set up subversion properly), but the existing repository should still work for getting code.