Author Topic: I got my first laptop.  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I got my first laptop.
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
I got my laptop and downloading visual studio as I write this.

I heard some good stuff (and some not so good stuff) about XNA:

1.)Is XNA really the best graphics engine out there?
2.)Does XNA only run on C# or can I use vb.net as well?
3.)Will DB3 use XNA?
4.)If so, where can I get the XNA development pack (or whatever it is called) for free?

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
I got my first laptop.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
1. Subjective, for what I think you are asking, no not really. XNA is a game framework, which contains what is essentially a wrapper of DirectX.
2. You can use VB.net however, the xbox 360 will only run C#
3. I believe it will be one option
4. Here

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I got my first laptop.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
Quote from: Botsareus
1.)Is XNA really the best graphics engine out there?

It's not really a graphics engine.  As Shasta says, it's just a wrapper for DirectX.  Which itself is just a wrapper for your graphics driver.  Which does a bit of processing before dumping things to the graphics card.  So it's a pretty low level interface.  Usually what people mean when they say "engine" would apply to something built on top of XNA.

As for best...  Assuming .NET, it's in the same category as Tao (OpenGL) and managed DirectX.  They're not better or worse, they're just different.  The main advantage/disadvantage of XNA is that it's driven by Microsoft.  The others are open source efforts.

3.)Will DB3 use XNA?

DB3 uses a generic graphics library.  This library has an XNA module, but it also has a GDI module.  Meaning that you can run the game using XNA (and it'll probably be prettier and faster) or you can use the lower level GDI that should be more compatible across cards/older computers.  Or you can run it command line and there won't be any graphics at all (though I haven't thought this part through very well just yet).

Probably there'll be a Darwinbots "client" and a Darwinbots "server".  The server runs the core simulation as a command line program.  The "client" connects to the server to display graphics and do UI.  The advantage being that the client doesn't have to be on the same machine as the server.  I'll probably also make a single app for those that don't want to mess with the server/client thing.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I got my first laptop.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
Sounds crazy and complicated but I like it. Well planed.  

I'll probably also make a single app for those that don't want to mess with the server/client thing.

Will that "single app" also be optional like:
You can run the game using XNA (and it'll probably be prettier and faster) or you can use the lower level GDI that should be more compatible across cards/older computers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:18:45 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I got my first laptop.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
Well, the XNA bit will be an option in the graphics part (eg: client).  You can swap it out while running.

The single app vs. client/server will be two separate download packages probably.