Author Topic: Divide by zero  (Read 9673 times)

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
I did it, I divided by zero.... I built a set of non real numbers with a working correlation which allows one to divide by zero... I built a proof of this here... if you find a problem... let me know.  

Remember that 0n and 0n act like zero when working with real numbers but can have a correlation later if N0 appears, such as: 2*0*3 * 10 = 6  
This should make it possible to solve 2x-6=0 in one step using the quadratic equation. (the normal way is easier... i know(2x=6::x=3), but still, this is just how it would work and possibly allow new math to occur)
*NOTE: I HAVE NOT FOUND WORKING PROOF FOR 0*A = 0A YET... I SPENT 7 HOURS TODAY WITH JUST THE NORMAL SETS AND 0A. WHEN I HAVE PROOF AND FOUND OUT COMPLETELY HOW TO WORK OUT ALL POSSIBLE PROBLEMS WITH IT I WILL LET YOU KNOW!
I divided by zero and, guess what? The only thing I found out from it is that dividing by zero doesn't work... You are sitting there 9 hours older and thourougly depressed by the amount of work you had to do to finally convince yourself of that.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
Careful! You could destroy the universe!

Heres an interesting mathmatical thingy I found on youtube: Clikith here

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:54:15 AM »
I have proved 0A now as well.
KK New rule: 0A/0B = realnum A/B
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:56:18 AM by triclops200 »
I divided by zero and, guess what? The only thing I found out from it is that dividing by zero doesn't work... You are sitting there 9 hours older and thourougly depressed by the amount of work you had to do to finally convince yourself of that.

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »
Well... I worked for 9 hours today on how to divide by zero... well, the last 30 minutes have been depressing. I have proven that you cannot, unfortunatly, divide by zero... The one case Major equation I tried it on just happened to be the only one it worked with. I could try some more but I dought it will work, thanks to all of you who had the patience to read this post.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:20:28 PM by triclops200 »

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Dividing by zero isn't new. Making up a new number that allows division by zero isn't an issue. If you look for them, I'm sure you can find plenty of number systems where you can "divide by zero". The problem is that we want the real numbers to be a field.

Like in every field, the additive identity (in this case 0), behaves in an unhappy way when we use it in multiplication. Namely, multiplying anything by zero just gives us zero again. So we can't undo multiplication by zero in a consistent way.

So the the real challenge for you isn't just to divide by zero. It's to divide by zero while still keeping your new number system similar enough to the usual one. But I still won't use it, since I think every single one of the field properties is more valuable than division by zero.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:07:22 PM by abyaly »
Lancre operated on the feudal system, which was to say, everyone feuded all
the time and handed on the fight to their descendants.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
That's what I was doing (I'm a clever 16 y/o  )... It didn't work out, unfortunatly. I gave an example where it did, but that was just chance that out of all the equations that it could work, I hit it. I tried... I will probably try again tomarrow, this time from a different angle, but I have serious doughts that it can be done. Though getting one example is a positive step in that direction. But the problem is: The new set of imaginary numbers will have to contain rules that either conflict with real number 0 rules or make an endless set of imaginary 0 rules.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »
Okay, so you're saying dividing by zero results in the entire real number set?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
No, it equals an undefined imaginary number which has some similarities to the real number set and follows alot of correlations, but is undefinable and utterly hard to work out...
1/0 = 10
2/0 = 20
0/2 = 0 right? well it also equals, in my rules, (which were incorrect, but it was still a beautiful system untill I figured that out) 02
0/3= 0 and = 03
0*2 = 0 and 02
0*3 = 0 and 03
I actually got a correct answer from it once, using 0 as a value, but I tried 4 more similar equations and none of them were correct. I am going to start again tommarrow, but I am making no promises on weather it can be done.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
 I am almost through with algebra 2 at my school and I still can't figure out what your talking about. But this does give me an idea. Ever hear of AM? Its an old artificial intellegence program that did math. Theres also automated theorem proving, which I guess is similiar. My idea is to use a program like that and set it loose on trying to come up with useful concepts and properties related to division by zero. Or you can always do what you did and waste 9 hours of your life.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
For the record, the forum should support latex.  So you don't need to embed images (I'm assuming you're using latex to generate them, or can get latex out?).

eg:

[img class=\"tex\" src=\"http://www.forkosh.dreamhost.com/mathtex.cgi?2/0 = 2_0\" alt=\"LaTeX: 2/0 = 2_0\" /]

The magic is using the tex tags

This is what the field of Abstract Algebra deals with.  Abyaly linked to one important concept called a "field".  I'd recommend that you try doing a bit of research about fields and the like before you delve too deeply into this.  It'll help you formalize your concepts.  Don't do it through wikipedia, though.  The math articles are always only useful if you already know what they're talking about.  They are a pretty bad introduction to the concepts.  Instead of starting with fields, start with groups.  They're about the most basic building block in abstract algebra.

If you don't do that AA research, you're just spinning your wheels.  Like someone trying to harness the power of lightning without studying electromagnetism in a physics text book.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:04:30 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
Quote from: Houshalter
Careful! You could destroy the universe!

Heres an interesting mathmatical thingy I found on youtube: Clikith here

You can't cancel out the terms in the last step.  Even though they look equal, x and y might be 0 and then you'd end up dividing by a zero.

Not sure if you knew that was the mistake already, but wanted to point that out.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:46 AM »
That's right - the biggest trap in these proofs is often that people assume that (x^2)/x = x.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
When is x^2/x not equal to x? Even if x is zero then its still zero.

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Divide by zero
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
If it's zero... it's undefined... that's what I wasted 9 hours finding out the hard way, but I'm still working on it, lol. Even 0/0 still equals undefined... for now.