Author Topic: Run time error '339'  (Read 23853 times)

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »
Ok, so initially i went on your home page and clicked the first download i saw, which was the 2.1 version, and i got the following error

Run time error '339':
Component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

I then saw that you had multiple versions up and so i downloaded the most recent of them. this time it didn't need to install, the download was simply a .exe file. I ran it anyway to find myself faced with the same problem:

Run time error '339':
Component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Figuring there might be some sort of conflict with the previous version i downloaded. So i uninstalled version 2.1 and again attempted to run the new version to no avail, the same, annoying error message popped up.

after all this i went on your troubleshooting/ faq page and didnt find anything that helped a whole lot. the most recent thing i have tried is running  the program in "administrative mode"

this is getting frustrating and if anyone knows what might be up if you could lemme know what YOU think the problem is, that would be incredibly helpful.

I am currently running windows Vista 32-bit (if that helps at all)

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
Ok, so initially i went on your home page and clicked the first download i saw, which was the 2.1 version, and i got the following error

Run time error '339':

I then saw that you had multiple versions up and so i downloaded the most recent of them. this time it didn't need to install, the download was simply a .exe file. I ran it anyway to find myself faced with the same problem:

Run time error '339':

I figured there might be some sort of conflict with the previous version i downloaded, so i uninstalled version 2.1 and again attempted to run the new version to no avail, the same, annoying error message popped up.

after all this i went on your troubleshooting/ faq page and didnt find anything that helped a whole lot. the most recent thing i have tried is running the program in "administrative mode"

this is getting frustrating and if anyone knows what might be up if you could lemme know what YOU think the problem is, that would be incredibly helpful.

I am currently running windows Vista 32-bit (if that helps at all)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
Run the installer in administrator mode.  It can't register the run time components if you don't.

Also, the different versions won't conflict.  The idea is that you run the 2.1 installer to register the components and such.  The newer versions are meant to be "patches".  You place the exe in the directory created by the 2.1 installer.

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »
ok so i uninstalled 2.1, reinstalled it (as administrator), then tried running the exe from the directory in program files... the program starts, but when i hit "new simulation" it delivers that error again.
I then tried your "patch" and simply replaced the exe file in the directory with the 2.43.1 patch exe file.
i tried running the program again through this new exe file and again, the error popped up when i attempted at starting a new simulation.
when i try initiating the program as an administrator, i recieve the following error

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

i am sorry i am being such a pain in the ass

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:25 AM »
Hmm...

Search your computer for that file (comdlg32.ocx) and see if it made it anywhere like c:\windows\system32\.  If so, you just need to register it yourself.

See, eg, this thread.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
I have to run the program as administrator, at the penalty ot those kinds of errors. Do you run as admin?

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
all right i went into my system32 folder, found all the different .OCX files that were causing my problems
 (for instance in DarwinBots i would click  "new simulation", and the above error would show, but when i did something else, such as hit the "zoom out" button, another run time error '339' would pop up but with a different file name as "missing"... )

now on these files, in my system32 i could right click and one of the options under this menu was "Register this Component", but when selected, the following error message would show up.

the module "[crazy Japanese looking letters]" failed to load
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

sucks
i checked out the link and it had high hopes but ended up not helping, thanks though.
any suggestions?

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
yeps tried that, numsgil is helping me on this thread, but i havnt really moved forward yet

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:06 AM »
Just to be explicit:
you run the installer in admin mode?
You run DB in admin mode?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:04 PM »
You really need to be at the command prompt for this.  And not just the command prompt, but the command prompt with administrator priveleges.

Also, when we say "run as administrator", we don't only mean run from an account with administrator priveleges.  We mean right click on the shortcut and select "run as administrator".

See clicky for how to run the command prompt as an administrator.

Once in the command prompt, you need to use regsrv32.

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
Thank you i KNOW how to run something as administrator...
and yes ikke i have tried both of those things
ok so i went into the command prompt (as admin. YES I KNOW HOW TO DO IT)
i only know a few CMD commands. including, and pretty much limited to, "start"

so what would i have to do with regsvr32?
i found it in the system32 folder so i know i have it but whats next?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
Okay, I believe you. ^^

Once you're running the command prompt in administrator mode, type:

regsvr32 [Your windows install]\system32\ comdlg32.ocx

eg:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\comdlg32.ocx

Likewise for any other binaries that you get errors with.

Offline MasterShaker

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
ok so this seemed to work with that first file (comdlg32.ocx), because when tried that command you gave me in cmd, a window popped up telling me that the operation was a success!

and i figured "hey thats good news!" so i opened up darwinbots and hit "new simulation"... another error message, same as before (error 339)
but this time the file was TABCTL32.OCX ... so i entered this into cmd (as admin)

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\TABCTL32.OCX
oh yeah i also tried it without caps

but instead of a message of success, i got the following response:

The module "c:\windows\system32\tabctl32.ocx" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.
For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

well. im bout to give up, so unless you know what i need to do or a next step dont even worry about it.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:43 AM »
Vista and Windows 7 have a large record of failures. Do you have another computer at home that runs XP or an older version of windows?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Run time error '339'
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
As always, google knows all.

clicky

click 2 (more relevant) .

It sounds from those links like you aren't running the command prompt with administrator privileges.