Author Topic: Realease date?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline triclops200

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
When is the estimated release date for darwin bots 3... I can't wait for c# progging for dna, much easier for me to read.
I divided by zero and, guess what? The only thing I found out from it is that dividing by zero doesn't work... You are sitting there 9 hours older and thourougly depressed by the amount of work you had to do to finally convince yourself of that.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »
Given current progress and rate, maybe Christmas 2010.  But that's not a 100% accurate estimate since I was unemployed for many months, and spent lots of that time working on Darwinbots.

You won't be able to program DNA in C#, though that's definitely a possibility in the future since the language has a built in C# compiler.  The stack based reverse polish notation language is useful because it makes mutation code very robust.  Any higher level languages would require mutation code to understand code structure, which is sort of cheating IMO.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
Any new insights for first release date?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
Chistmad 2010 is probably overly optimistic.  But we'll see. Still making slow and steady progress.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Does anybody have a list of new features in DB3 that seem pretty definite ATM, or is it mostly just getting a skeleton set up and seeing where we end up?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »
Mostly a skeleton.  Once I have a system that can handle something like animal minimalis, I'll start adding layers of features on top of that base.

I definitely want to support multibots that move around by "swimming", though.  That's a definite.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
Cool, that's a third of my wish-list ticked off  
In case anyone's wondering, the other two are specialized materials, which looks like a definite as well, and hexagonal 'bricks' - these act as minerals that cluster together. With specialized glands, a bot can dissolve these for minerals (shell etc.), and regurgitate them. This would be a sort of abiotic factor in the environment to interact with that would allow bots to build shelters or hives.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »
I do definitely want to play with things like ant bots making nests inside shapes by removing blocks of material.  Instead of a grid (eg: something like Dig Dug) it'll probably work using shapes (this shape - union of negative shape primitives (circles, etc.)).

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
The reason I thought of hexagons is that they are the one of the simplest shapes that leave no gaps and fit neatly, so they don't become too much of a nightmare for the physics engine. Why not squares or triangles? Lets face it-I'm a Wesnoth addict  
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »
Hex grids are cool.  I'm totally all for them over square grids.  But in this case I'm trying to avoid all grids, since they can take up a lot of memory if you're not careful.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Realease date?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:49:09 PM »
It's a fine balance-grids would only be more effective if they are used in fairly small sims or if these objects will be used a lot. Either way, we'd need some performance testing and general playing around, and the sim would have to be flexible enough to suit both options.
- Carl Sagan