Author Topic: What's happening in IM?  (Read 10615 times)

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:51 AM »
Any internet sims running, who's winning out?

Have you released any new species etc?

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:04 AM »
My computer is on sometimes and sometimes its not but I try to run a sim when I can. Its overly dominated by Slam Funk (I love that name  )

Offline Ta-183

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
I would expect SF to do that, seeing as I was the only sim running for like a week, and at the longest I had a sim running continuously for three days, without getting anything but SF back.

I haven't run DB in over a week though. Happy to hear its still out there, eveolving, adapting, and kicking ass.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:19:06 PM by Ta-183 »

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
I was trying to release this alge on IM :

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']cond
*.thisgene 1 !=
start
*.timer 10 mod 1 =
-8 .shoot store
*.timer 10 mod 2 =
.sexrepro .shoot store
99 .shootval store
stop

start
*.vtimer 0 =
2 rnd .mkvirus store
*.vtimer 1 =
*.nrg 30 div .vshoot store
stop

start
50 .repro store
*.maxvel rnd 5 rnd store
stop

Just to see if it could shake things up a litle. It's faily easy to kill but still tries to spread while spreading those 2 first genes as a virus.
But I kept getting flyfruits into the sim from old pop files and had to reset it. But kept getting an error and crashes so gave up eventualy (And I don't want to spread flyfruits on IM, they either whipe or overpop the sim depending on settings)

While on the subject you can run sims that wouldn't favor most F1 bots, depending on fluids, sim size, veggy population and such. And you can also downsize the power of alge considerably. So it doesn't have to be all F1 on IM.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
I figured I would try to evolve a veggie instead of focusing on a combat or evobot. I just used alga minimalis and set both its insertion and delta mutations to 1. So after 5,150 mutations, 1.4 million cycles, 2,580 generations, and being exposed to anything that comes in through IM, all it can do is reproduce, move in circles, and waste lots of energy with its 67 random genes. It does stuff like storing whats in refeye into the value of eye7. I guess occasionly that could result in a interesting behaviour but mostly it just does what I just said it did.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
I keep trying to make bots with new and interesting behaviour, but they always just get beaten by the simple hunt-shoot-kill bots. :/

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
A large part of that is arena size I think.  Try using a really big arena with only like 100 veggies allowed at a time.  When food isn't plentiful stupid strategies won't work very well.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
I think I might try something like that. I'll increase the sim size by one every day. Oh, is anyone having trouble with IM working? I can't seem to get any bots to go out or come in.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
That could prove to be dangerous-there's usually a threshold of size when the bots are doing well before it, and then you make a tiny change and they all suddenly die. Point being, if you are going to put them under pressure, either save a lot or produce a multisim environment.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
I just mean by only one notch a day, not all at once. I would at least give a million cycles for them to adapt before going to the next level. I've already done this on my sim on my first computer. The costx has fallen dramatically along with the population, but thats good for natural selection to operate on. If it gets below half of what its supposed to be I have it set to cancel all costs untill it brings the population back up.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
well that seems to have worked
webfungus2 is doing very well for itself

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Houshalter
I just mean by only one notch a day, not all at once. I would at least give a million cycles for them to adapt before going to the next level. I've already done this on my sim on my first computer. The costx has fallen dramatically along with the population, but thats good for natural selection to operate on. If it gets below half of what its supposed to be I have it set to cancel all costs until it brings the population back up.
That is what I meant - one day, a bot seems to be doing fine, then you change it a tiny bit the next day and the entire sim's down the drain. You'll be surprised how easily it happens.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
I'm gonna leave a sim running all day with F1 costs and size 13. Send through your best carnivores, I wanna see somebody take out webfungus2.1

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
Gee, I'm really missing being able to run DB...
- Carl Sagan

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What's happening in IM?
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
Little disappointing results. Only got through HSLiteSammeh, which is hanging on with a meager 63 pop, but had no effect on WebFungus2.1 which is going strong at 2009 pop

Essentially the same story on my other sim (with different settings) as well. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:49:00 PM by Sammeh »