Author Topic: How does this bot possibly reproduce  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
How does this bot possibly reproduce
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
How does this bot reproduce? Its alga minimalis afer 5 million cycles and 30 mutations. It has the number 300 hundred and an inc but it only reproduces occasionly, but it looks like it should reproduce every cycle or not at all. I don't get how the code works to allow this.

Code: [Select]
dist

start
 300 or

start
 inc

else

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
If I understand it correctly the inc command causes the bot to go through various instructions in incremental steps,occasionally hitting the .repro command. It's the most common way of evobots to do stuff. The code just breaks down and gets replaced with inc or dec procedures.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »
It's constantly increasing .repro, so of course it will reproduce. The only issue is why it isn't reproducing constantly.
I think the most likely explanation is that the bot usually doesn't have enough body to repro, so .repro keeps increasing but doesn't "trigger" until the amount of body is over the threshold.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:41:26 PM by abyaly »
Lancre operated on the feudal system, which was to say, everyone feuded all
the time and handed on the fight to their descendants.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
This is a veggie bot and its set up to get 50/50 in nrg/body. Now, that I think about it again, I think I know whats happening. Its reaching the veggie cap and then when one dies they all try to randomly reproduce. Is there anyway to control the veggie population without setting a cap? Oh and its DNA has changed since then. Now it has a bunch of random insertions that don't seem to affect its behavior.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
Quote from: Houshalter
Is there anyway to control the veggie population without setting a cap?

How about an ageing cost together with dynamic costs? You can adjust the aggressiveness of it or turn it off when the population are at a level you're happy with.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
The veggy cap is really artificial, but it's the only way I've had success with a veggy/animal co-evolving sim.  It makes it essentially impossible for all veggies to die out at once, while preventing the veggies from becoming so numerous that the whole sim is swamped.