Author Topic: how to use multicore processors  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
how to use multicore processors
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:47 AM »
Ok, here is what I heard somewhere, tested it and it works. How to use multicore processors to speed up darwinbots. Don't know if it was written here, but maybe it's good to repeat  

In my case, I have dual core AMD turion processor. I started two simulations simultaneously. Then open task manager. Find processes Darwin 2.44.04.exe (depending on the version You are using, right click and click "set affinity" then You can assing each sim to one core. If You have more cores you can start more sims. You can connect them with teleporters to form one big sim and so on...    Hope that this will help a little...

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
I used that method when making evosims-it's great for those, but not particularly helpful outside that, as the teleporters tend to bottleneck the environments, so you end up with very little interaction.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:32:23 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
I used that method when making evosims-it's great for those, but not particularly helpful outside that, as the teleporters tend to bottleneck the environments, so you end up with very little interaction.

Oh I remember now, it was You that first descireb this method, I appologize for stealing your idea  

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
Not at all-if I wanted nobody to steal it, I wouldn't have mentioned it (just like I never mentioned the sapient bot    )
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »
Another tip is to put the proccess priority on low so it doesn't use up your cpu when you want to use it for other stuff. Just use the task manager and go to proccessess. Find darwinbots.exe (it should be the only one useing up like 99% of your cpu) and right click it, then go to set priority and then low and then click "ok". Hope this helps.