Author Topic: New zerobot simulation  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Ta-183

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
Impressive. This means that after a day of running in the background, if anything is left then those are the ones to save.

I need to start doing that.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
Yes, it should weed out old boring bots and favor reproduction. Once you have a stable population you can turn off ageing cost. It's a bit artificial. Unicellular organisms never ages in reality (they just keep splitting in two). I pretend it's a tear and wear cost or whatever you call it in English.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
When is good time to introduce costs? when reproduction starts? or feeding?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
Well, you could set some low morphological costs for realism, then set the cost multiplier to 0, then turn Dynamic Costs on. Set the target population to a level where your sim runs at a decent speed, then an upper and lower percentage to try and keep the numbers of bots within the target.

I think the first priority is to have bots that reproduce regularly before they do anything else. Use ageing cost to encourage that.

In my personal experience zerobots are just hopeless to get anything from nomatter if you have costs or not, so I've gone over to randombots instead.

Right now I have a stable population of randombots on my laptop. Sometimes they peak in population, but the faster they peak, the faster they drop too.
I think the best results are when the population graph looks like a small sawtooth pattern instead of peaks, drops or flatlines.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »
You are probably right, in my sim zerobots and bots with random numbers are mixed together, but so fan no strain has evolved reproduction, some bots from both sides evolved shooting and then lost that ability... Right now about 6Mcycles

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »
OK just had two offspring, in simulation, of course   and parents are zorobots with lots of zeroes so it's 2:0:0, guys with random numbers didn't jutsify expectations so far, but it's only begining. Also bot's with only 900 zeroes are behind in evolution from their 3600 zeroes collegaues (as expected)... Bots with only 30 zeroes so far only evolved random moving (156 Mcycles).

The show goes on...

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
Well its not really evolution untill they can reproduce. Any and all behaviour is really just random. So you could get the one with 3 zeros to reproduce first but my guess is the more chances at mutations, the faster they will evolve reproduction, at least statistically.

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
OK, finally some news, we have reproduction going and the winner is zerobot with 900 zeroes! It was a bit surprise for me, because I beleived that first bots to reproduce will be ones with more zeroes or with random nubers...
Is this good time to introduce costs? There is over 400 zerobots with 900 zeroes in sim, other species are stuck below 10. Sim is draging like a dead cow by now, 1,6 cycles per sec.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
Are you judging "first" based on real world time or number of cycles?  3600 bps will make any sim chug.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
Quote from: Drognan
Is this good time to introduce costs? There is over 400 zerobots with 900 zeroes in sim, other species are stuck below 10. Sim is draging like a dead cow by now, 1,6 cycles per sec.

Wow. At this point, I'd be getting 10 seconds per frame  
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 03:26:43 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
Quote from: Drognan

Wow. At this point, I'd be getting 10 seconds per frame  

It's a new laptop, dual core   , now there are 500 bots, same speed

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 03:34:43 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Are you judging "first" based on real world time or number of cycles?  3600 bps will make any sim chug.

real world time, but these zerobots, and zerobots with 3600 zeroes were introduced into the sim in the same time so I guess that it's the same.

Now about those costs.... anyone?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
You can always try to introduce aging costs and the like.  But basically the costs can have unpredictable results at times, so it's less a science and more a fiddle-with-the-knobs-until-you-get-it-right.  I'd say morphological costs (costs for moving, shooting, etc.) are better than arbitrary costs like aging.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 05:40:11 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
You can always try to introduce aging costs and the like.  But basically the costs can have unpredictable results at times, so it's less a science and more a fiddle-with-the-knobs-until-you-get-it-right.  I'd say morphological costs (costs for moving, shooting, etc.) are better than arbitrary costs like aging.
I usually start by adding ageing cost first. This puts a premium on shorter reproduction cycles and speeds up evo. Usually when introducing other cost I relax ageing cost temporarily.

Offline Drognan

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
New zerobot simulation
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
OK, contest is over, zerobots with 900 zeroes started shooting and reproducing and devastated all other species. So, I guess more zeroes or random numbers doesn't always  guarantee survival. Oh, btw, zerobots with 30 zeroes never developed even reproduction.