Author Topic: Speciation window?  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Anyone know why the speciation window wouldn't be coming up when I click on the tab?

Because when I click on it nothing happens, not even an error message or a crash. It just keeps running as if I had never clicked it.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
If you're talking about what I think you are, it was added by Eric a bit before he stopped developing.  So the code is probably a bit untested and potentially unstable.  If you have access to VB6 you might try running from the IDE and following the code.

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:32:55 AM »
VB6? IDE? I don't know what those mean.

Anyway, I remember I used to be able to get the speciation tab to come up easy on my old computer, that was on windows XP though... I'm using windows 7.

Oh, I also get this error accompanied by an unexpected close when I attempt to change costs, on both versions 2.43.1 and 2.44.04, I'll see what I can do to fix it and post the solution if I can, any help would be appreciated:

EDIT: I have added in the file since it was missing and tried to register it.

It just says the module failed to load, the specified module could not be found. I definitely typed it in correctly, and it is in the place I typed it in as (in windows folder, as instructed on another website)

I did it without typing in where it is, just the file, and it says it may not be compatible with my version of windows. I still get the same error when I attempt to change costs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:19:09 AM by Trilobite »

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Thanks, that solved that problem.

Can anyone elaborate on what Numsgil is talking about for the speciation window? Under Objects -> Species?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:15:50 AM »
VB6 is "Visual basic 6".  It's what Darwinbots is programmed in.  If you grab the source code from the repository, and run it in the IDE (integrated development environment, I think that's what it stands for anyway) you should be able to step through code and see why it's failing.  But something tells me that's probably a bit more involved than you want to get.

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
Haha, I wouldn't mind getting that involved. I'm just pretty certain I wouldn't know how.

If you'd be willing to tell me I'd be willing to listen, but I understand if it would take up a lot of your time and I wouldn't want to be a burden. Maybe it's something that might require a bit self-study, as I don't know any code languages (if that's what they're called) or even how they work..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:39:42 AM by Trilobite »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 01:05:20 AM »
You can download VB6 clicky.  There's a wealth of information on google.  Basically you load the iesara.vdb (or something like that) project file.  Then there should be a "go" or "execute" button somewhere.  You can also set "breakpoints" in the code to halt the program when it gets to a certain place and then visually inspect variables and even step the code to figure out what's wrong.

This is a little trickier since it doesn't involve a crash, but rather a non working function.  But yeah, if you get comfortable with the IDE a bit, and look around the code a bit, things should make a little more sense.

You can grab the code from the SVN repository.  That's a whole other can of worms, but basically you get a client (I use SmartSVN) and download the source to somewhere local (say, c:\DarwinbotsSource).

Sorry I don't have time to really go over everything in depth.  I might be able to answer specific questions, though.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
Is visual basic like actual Basic?

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:35:05 AM »
Thanks for the link and info.  It might take me a while to digest all that and get a hang of it, I'll post any questions as they come.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speciation window?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »
Quote from: Houshalter
Is visual basic like actual Basic?

A little bit, yeah.  Think of it like BASIC on steroids.