Author Topic: DB algorithm  (Read 3540 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Where can I find a UML diagram of the DB2 algorithm?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »
Algorithm?  You mean the program as a whole?

Well, it's not object oriented really.  So there isn't an inheritance structure to model with UML.  Unless you want to understand function calls with UML maybe?  Form a call tree?  Nothing like that exists right now.  Not sure if there are any external tools to parse VB6 code and form a call tree like that, either.  This is the best I managed to find with 4 minutes of google searching.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:38:18 PM by Numsgil »

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:38:35 AM »
Yes I meant a call tree, so I guess it doesn't exist. Would you be so kind as to create a detailed UML diagram of DB3 as you make it? That would be soo helpful.

BTW, what do you mean by "it isn't object oriented"? I thought VB is an object oriented language...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
VB6 is like C++ in that it can be either object oriented or procedural depending on the tastes of the programmer.  Unlike C++, there's significant overhead in VB6 to use classes, so most of the "core" engine is procedural.

I don't need to explicitly create a UML diagram for DB3, actually.  There are tools available within the IDE and probably some external tools that can parse individual solutions/projects.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
You mean they can make a "real" 2D UML diagram, with all the arrows and boxes and all that?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB algorithm
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »
Diagrams, yeah.  I dunno if it's officially UML or not.  I've never been all that concerned with UML actually.  I haven't ever really found it useful, and neither have most of the people I've worked with.  Usually you just dive right in with some use cases and build some unit tests for them, and build the API around that, and then fill in the internal details to match the API and get the tests to pass.  Or at work we just sort of hack on the source and fix things when clients complain