Author Topic: Yaheydere  (Read 10513 times)

Offline DrGrimm

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:34 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
Tie-feeding can be done in two methods:

1.) Sharing
99 .sharenrg store will distribute the energy so that this cell gets 99% of it.

2.) Feeding
-1 .tieloc store
-1000 .tieval store

I'm not sure if this works anymore, but the idea is to 'override' the cell's -1 memory (for feeding, much like the -1 shot is a special case of positive-number shots), then the negative number forces the cell to 'eat' negative energy, thus giving the parasite 1000 nrg. I think that's the idea anyway, there's a whole bunch of variables that don't work like you think/hope they do.

As far as interesting behaviour goes, Spiral from the interesting behaviour part of the bestiary and Seasnake/Tribolis from the starting gate (somewhere   ) are probably one of the better ones. The first shows some swarm behaviour, the other two are worms.
I think they used the 2nd one on the tutorial for the tie bots but I'm not sure where I'v seen the first one.. I'v been trying to make a tie bot that latches onto enemies (been testing on T_Preservans) but they seem to latch onto Alga_Minimalis and each other for some reason

that's the script I was using
I might be missing something

cond
*.eye5 50 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
1 .tie store
stop

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 02:57:43 AM »
Nothing wrong with amorphous globs. It's actually a sound strategy to entangle veggies into a bunch of conspecs tied together, then share the energy around. You may also want to wait until *.robage is greater than 20, otherwise you may be overriding the birth tie and forming a permanent one.
On a not totally unrelated note, refvar--myvar recognition is not too reliable, and one of the easiest codes to break by mutation. The current method of doing so is to put an arbitrary constant into, say, .out6 (-42 .out6 store) on birth, then using *.in6 *.out6 != to recognize other species.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:01:12 AM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline DrGrimm

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 03:07:19 AM »
Nothing wrong with amorphous globs. It's actually a sound strategy to entangle veggies into a bunch of conspecs tied together, then share the energy around. You may also want to wait until *.robage is greater than 20, otherwise you may be overriding the birth tie and forming a permanent one.
On a not totally unrelated note, refvar--myvar recognition is not too reliable, and one of the easiest codes to break by mutation. The current method of doing so is to put an arbitrary constant into, say, .out6 (-42 .out6 store) on birth, then using *.in6 *.out6 != to recognize other species.

brilliant!

thanks for the help

but I must be going, I need to finish a powerpoint for school X_X it's 2 AM

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 03:15:53 AM »
Glad to help  
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline PeaceHeather

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
As far as interesting behaviour goes, Spiral from the interesting behaviour part of the bestiary and Seasnake/Tribolis from the starting gate (somewhere   ) are probably one of the better ones. The first shows some swarm behaviour, the other two are worms.

Flocking behavior?  There's something else I'd love to be able to figure out - I know that the mathematical "rules" are supposedly very simple, but that whole not-a-programmer thing gets me every time.

Quote from: Houshalter
A sheperd is a bot that encourges the evolution of other bots in the sim. Of course that won't mean anything if you've never experimented with the simulator yet. Its really confusing at first but I did it and I have the attention span of a...

A T-shirt I MUST own someday reads, "All my friends tell me I have ADD, but I don't know what they're oh look a chicken!"

Heather

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
There are some flocking bots you can look at.  Fish School is an early bot by me.  There's also SWARM which behaves more robustly.

Offline PeaceHeather

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
Thanks, I'll download those right away.

A question: Why the heck do my bots keep shrinking?  I'm just running Alga and Animal Minimalis, but the animals keep getting smaller and smaller, until they reach a point where they stop to feed while their shots are still out of range.  To keep them alive I'm shoving algae on top of them, but even when I can get food into them, they don't seem to grow.  What's up with that?

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Under the General settings tab theres a "veg Body/Nrg  distribution". Set it to 25 or 50 percent and watch the vegs bulk up as well as the bots that eat them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:39:38 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
Every time a bot reproduces, a percentage of both its energy AND body mass is transferred, and feeding only regenerates energy (up to a certain point). Most of the simplistic bots don't have any genes which regenerate this body mass, so body feeding and reproduction which make the bots smaller and smaller...
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
Ya but to quote the wiki:
After body and energy shots hit a bot they receive a -2 shot back in proportion to the damage caused by the original shot in the ratio of: 95% energy, 4% body and 1% waste. .shootval increases the range and strength of such a shot.
If the veggies have lots of body then the bots will get some of it.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Houshalter
If the veggies have lots of body then the bots will get some of it.

But if they dont have lots of body, then they wont get much body, you can use the function of "fixed bot radii" to keep them looking the same size, I dont know whether it effects their ammount of body.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
Ah, but the power of the shot is proportional to the mass of the bot itself, eg. small bot grow less than big bots. And believe me, once they get small, they stay small.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
Mabey, its never been a problem for me.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
It's still useful to have some type of body control gene. .strbody converts energy to body in a 10:1 ratio, and .fdbody does the reverse.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Yaheydere
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »
Couldn't you put a negative value in .strbody?