Author Topic: Sexual reproduction  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »
I can't get the virus to spread when the vegs are virus immune but if they aren't virus immune the virus kills everything . Maybe if I make the vegs virus immune and make the mutation rates rediculously high. That way bots that share genes with each other would have an advantage against degrading dna. Also you could disable mutations entirely so theres no chance of the virus becoming mutated, it would just be sharing genes.

To get the different species to survive long enough to mix genomes you could try turning the cost multiplier to a negative number and under "shot energy exchange method" I think you can change how powerful shots are. If you make them almost no effect then the bots can't eat each other altough it may give in advantage to tie bots.

Im going to try all these tomorrow and tell you how it goes.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
Did you try the "mice in a haystack" thing nums sugested ?
Just place an obstacle across the screen splitting it in two, and move it aside now and then to mix the bots, or if one side got whiped out.

Also you should consider what kind of bots you're using, it may just be a virus from one of the other bots.
Also using .vshoot inc will send out a very weak shot, so the most likely mutation I can thing of would be breaking the condition, so .vshoot inc is called while the virus is loading, so if you're channeling a big gene by the time you're ready to fire vshoot will be rather big. Not sure if this is how it works, but last I tryed evolvig the wiki bot it evolved into moving fast forward while reproducing so the first offspring would get in the way and alow the line .repro inc to accumulate a big enough sum to make a sizeable offspring.
I guess my point in that would be that 10 (Or more) .vshoot store would be more stable.

The last virus alge I posted worked a lot better, but deleting random genes when infected doesn't seem to be the best solution for evolution to work. Gonna try spreading viruses a lot slower this time, and maybe use slime as the genome is getting too long.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
Did you try the "mice in a haystack" thing nums sugested ?
Yes I split the screen into three or four parts and made tiny opennings so that a small bot or stray virus could get through but it would have to be far superior to anything already in that section to take root and multiply.

Also you should consider what kind of bots you're using, it may just be a virus from one of the other bots.
I haven't downloaded that many bots from the bestiary or wiki yet so I didn't have to worry about that.

I guess my point in that would be that 10 (Or more) .vshoot store would be more stable.
In one sim I tried I had the .vshoot inc, along with a 10 .vshoot store, 100 .vshoot store, and 1,000 .vshoot store. The 1,000 .vshoot store was more succesful in spreading itself but it did eventualy die off without the vegies spreading the virus.

The last virus alge I posted worked a lot better, but deleting random genes when infected doesn't seem to be the best solution for evolution to work. Gonna try spreading viruses a lot slower this time, and maybe use slime as the genome is getting too long.
I haven't tried it yet but I immagine in time the virus will become hostile or die out. Also I was wrong higher mutations just makes the virus degrade faster instead of encourging gene sharing.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 01:32:04 AM »
The best balance is usually *.nrg 10 div .vshoot store.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
I made a new version of the virus:
Code: [Select]
start
*.vtimer 0 =
3 rnd 1 =
*.thisgene .mkvirus store
not
*.genes rnd .mkvirus store
*.vtimer 1 =
*.eye5 0 > and
*.nrg 15 div .vshoot store
*870 0 =
*.genes 870 store
*.genes *870 >
*.genes rnd .delgene
*.robage 0 =
100 rnd 871 store
*871 66 >=
870 dec
*.robage 1 =
*871 33 <=
870 inc
*.robage 1 =
0 871 store
*872 *.thisgene !=
*872 .delgene store
*.thisgene 872 store
stop
I made it more compact in some places. I also made it more likely (one in 3 chance if the rnd function works like I think it does) to make itself into a virus rather than some random gene. It now only shoots the virus when theres something in eye5 and it uses 1/15 of the bots energy (10% sounded a bit excesive). I got the virus to stabilize in a sim by makeing the vegs the virus and making them virus immune and mutation disabled. Its still hard for bots to spread genes cause most of the shots miss and just waste energy but at least they are shooting them. I have only tried one species at a time and I don't think it will be an easy task at all to make all the different bots share their genes like I origanly intended. I hope db3 makes viruses/sex easier.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Sexual reproduction
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:35 AM »
I think sexual reproduction is going to need some work. It was too powerful in the leagues if used properly (or not   ), and is a bit chunky and strange in its workings.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan