Author Topic: Strange Attractors  (Read 4893 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
Just asking around if anybody's messed with these before. I got some pretty decent-looking Lorenz, Lorenz-84 and Pickover (All quite primitive trig/poly chaotic equations) renders from my own program, and am aiming to recreate the functions from Chaoscope. The main problem I'm facing with my version is the implementation of the IFS fractal. As you can (hopefully) see below, they're quite amazing (hope you like then, they took hours of tweaking), but don't seem to follow the dot-by-dot iterative structure of the others. Anybody know anything about this?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
I like them. I love the second on.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
Don't know much about them other than that they exist.  And games sometimes use them to simulate things like nebula in space games.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
I like them. I love the second on. smile.gif
Thanks. Funnily enough, it started off as a bundle of grain, and tweaking a parameter by 0.02 changed it into a phoenix  
And games sometimes use them to simulate things like nebula in space games.
Cool, I actually made some very neat space-themed effects, like nebulae and vortices (not much to do with space, but they brought black holes to mind).
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »
I had a random image generator once I made in Just_Basic (free version of Liberty Basic). Nothing like this, just generated random rgb values and placed them in order on the screen one line at a time. It was one of my first and only projects that actually ended up like it was supposed to.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:38:51 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
Quote from: Panda
It was one of my first and only projects that actually ended up like it was supposed to. biggrin.gif
I share your pain. The program took five minutes to write, and then another week to iron out all the glitches. Turns out the screen was blank because the virtual camera was ponting the wrong way  
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
Virtual camera? Is that cheaper than a regular camera? lol. No really I need a new digital camera. Dropped mine while it was on and it smashed. Wow I just completely went off topic there. Ah well.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:50:06 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
Funny you should say so, we found our cellphone in the washing machine yesterday. We also  have about three digital cameras lying around, two of which take one photo before having to recharge, and one of which runs on normal AA batteries, but has gone haywire. Either way, look into getting standard-battery ones, rechargeables run flat anyway, and specific battery models are a pain to replace.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:27:04 PM by bacillus »
- Carl Sagan

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
Does anybody know how to convert .tp files into AVIs? They seem to be the most obscure video format around, and it's driving me mad  
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Whats .tp used for? Heres I site I found: Site I found

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Strange Attractors
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
Tried it, along with dozens of others. I was more hoping that somebody had this problem before and knows a surefire tool.
- Carl Sagan